Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know raw feeders generally follow something like the "whole prey" idea. So that's meat, bones, and organs.....but all that's mostly drained of blood. I'm sure there's plenty of nutrients in blood so I was wondering if anyone has fed any type of blood.

More specifically, I was thinking of trying a little bit of blood tofu which is available from Asian markets. It's essentially just coagulated blood, cut into tofu like squares. A little bit of salt is used in the process. I think I can get either duck or pig blood and was just wondering if anyone has tried anything similar.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Interesting...

The most prominent nutrient in blood would be iron (hemoglobin), but from a quick google also: Zinc, Copper, Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin B12

I'd be cautious about sodium levels - blood is where most of the sodium in the body is located. However, I don't know anything about relative sodium levels for dogs, just that its lower than for people.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well if wolves and such get the blood then maybe the extra sodium is fine?

Max adores the blood when he gets whole prey, you might try it and feed as if it is a very rich meat because of the high mineral content. Start with an ounce or so.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Well if wolves and such get the blood then maybe the extra sodium is fine?

Max adores the blood when he gets whole prey, you might try it and feed as if it is a very rich meat because of the high mineral content. Start with an ounce or so.
The blood wolves eat doesn't have salt added, as the OP stated the "blood tofu" does.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
With how much bloody heart I feed I'm not worried lol. I try not to let much blood drain from anything, and I let the dogs lick it off the cutting board when I'm packaging things up.

I'm not sure I'd want the added sodium from those. Does it tell you the sodium per serving? It should be under 100mg per 4 oz serving. (Keeping in mind some parts of animals are naturally higher in sodium, like lungs as I recently found out)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm with Sibe i'm confident my dogs are getting plenty of blood through what I feed. Every meal I thaw out, wether it be PMR or commercial, the container is always full of blood and it goes into their food bowl, and there's always a little pool of blood in their bowl at each meal they lick up so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The reddish stuff when meat thaws isn't blood. It is cell contents as when muscle cells freeze the cell membrane breaks and when thawed it all leaks out. Carcasses are bled before getting cut up, the blood is saved and sent to the renderer to be dried into blood meal. You may see some clots but that is about it.

I usually give Max that meat juice too, he loves it. When he gets whole prey the bin has dark red blood in the bottom the first couple days, completely different in appearance from meat juice.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly I just thought of this last night when I was cutting up some kidneys for dinner. Organs seems to contain much more blood than in meat since they're not drained as much. Even so it seems to me that a whole prey, would have a lot more blood than just whats in the organs although I guess I'm not sure how much blood a wolf or wild dog would actually consume.

I'm reading Dr.Becker's book right now and her recipes are suppose to include extra organs to make up for the lack of blood. I remembered seeing some blood tofu at the store so i thought it could be interesting. Googling around mostly says it's just coagulated blood but one place said the coagulation process is achieved by adding a little salt and slight heat.

I might just get some and use it as treats or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts