Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!!!

My name is Maria, I just recently ( May 11th) brought home my first bundle of fluff!
His name is Nikey, he's an eleven week old purebred St. Bernard. I found the forums through google while I was trying to look up some stuff about my li'l man. He was on Loyall puppy food when I got him but of course the pet store here doesn't carry it so next best brand (according tp the woman @ the pet store) is Royal Canin Giant Breed puppy food. So, I've been mixing the two but he isn't eating nearly half as much as he did when he was with the breeder. He used to eat an even bowl (measured it out, two cups even) in the morning and at night. I've been giving him am even bowl and it's lasting him three feedings! Now, I know that just because he's a big pup doesnt mean he has a big appetite but even the recommended feeding chart on the royal canin bag says to give him 2 1/4 cups each feeding. His stool has gone completely soft and there was a touch of blood IN it a few hours ago, however, he went again just a few minutes ago (also not normal, he usually goes 2-3 times/day and he's already gone 4) and there was no more blood but it's still like liquid coming out. He hasn't been for his 2nd set of shots yet and he's a verrrrrry socialable, friendly pup always wanting to say hi to whomever we see and he seems to absolutely love coming to the park with me and watching the horses run (although I think he comes with because the people there love him up so much) but he tries to chew on the wooden fence thing all the time or crawl into the pen to run around with the horses. I'm concerned he might have eaten something off the ground at the park or he's gotten a parasite from being around the horses? How old before I can give him a bone to chew on? If the blood in his stool has only happened three sporadic times is there something specific I should be asking the vet about?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Has he been in contact with unknown dogs, or their poop? What kind of park is it, if it's an off leash park then I'd be concerned.

What you can do for now is skip a feeding and then offer a small meal of plain pumpkin and maybe some boiled hamburger without the fat, and see if that helps things. If he's not improved I'd have the vet check him out just in case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't found a vet yet so no sadly he hasnt seen the vet about the problem yet but he's got more of an appetite back and his stool is getting more firm so Im hoping it was maybe just because of the heat he wasn't feeling well. Im bringing him into the vet on monday (hopefully there's a cancellation and he gets in) for his second set of shots and Im going to bring in a fresh stool sample if he isn't back to normal. Now I've got another problem though, he started humping pillows. A relative of mine said that it's a form of self soothing because he misses his mom but this is the first time Ive ever heard of humping for soothing.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Diarrhea in pups can be caused by so many things. Its best to get him in to see a vet asap. Be sure to keep him hydrated, diarrhea will take a lot out of him and pups dehydrate very easily.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a breed known to be sensitive to warm temperatures. Its very easy to overheat a Saint Bernard and they'll go down quickly with heat stroke. These guys really do a poor job of cooling themselves thanks to their kissably sweet smooshy face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts