Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday my dog started having diarrhea. And then this morning he puked up undigested food from last night and was having more diarrhea with a lot of straining. Last week he was being the food ninja he is and I turned my back for a second and he grabbed a grilled chicken thigh (with bone in) off my plate. His poop had been normal until yesterday. So of course I freaked this morning and took him to the vet right away. They did an x-ray, which they said looked so good (with no blockages) they decided not to do blood work to test for pancreatitis. So they gave him an anti-nausea shot, some medicine, told us to feed him chicken and rice for the next few days, and sent us home.

So we come home and he sleeps for a while (he was given sedation because he wouldn't sit still for the x-ray). After he woke up, I gave him chicken and rice. He's acting fine, a little tired but that's to be expected. Then he started barking to go outside to poop. This is where he had the diarrhea with the blood in it. So now I'm kind of freaking again. Called the vet and they said to just watch him, that it could be from the straining earlier. I'm just freaking about what else it could be?

He just had his yearly shots, with fecal and heart worm tests done 2 weeks ago.

Ugh I just feel so bad for him and I don't want anything to happen to him! He's never had blood in his stool before.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
My recommendation would be, since you have already contacted the vet about the blood and they think it's minor, to monitor him very closely and carefully check each of his stools after he goes. If it's a small amount of blood, it could indeed just be straining. If you start seeing larger amounts of blood, or chunks of blood like clots come out, put the stool in a plastic baggie and take him back to the vet. At least, that's what I would do if it was my dog :)

Also, I don't think a chicken bone he ate last week would be causing diarrhea this week. It takes roughly 8-9 hours for the entire digestive process of a dog to complete, from consumption to defecation. Since it's been over a week since he ate the chicken, I think this diarrhea/blood situation is most likely entirely unrelated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts