Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Jack Russell Terrier Lola has been up and down in terms of health this summer. It started in April when she suddenly lost her appetite and started drinking water excessively. I took her immediately to the vets because she's never acted like that before. They didn't have any answers except prescribing her weird medicines for nausea. Unfortunately, Florida is not abundant with helpful, reliable vets - at least where I live. Taking her bloodwork (which has elevated liver enzymes) to a homeopathic vet, we cleared all of her symptoms and problems over the summer.

Everything was back to normal. Then, our landlords were jerks and we were forced to move in a few quick months. Lola relapsed only this time with the same symptoms as before, and add uncontrollable diarrhea. We took her for bloodwork and the vet diagnosed her with colitis. The medicine he gave her didn't help but started to actually give her a neurological overdose. (Her bloodwork revealed that her elevated liver enzymes were going down.) We put her on another homeopathic regimen and she started doing brilliantly again - diarrhea was gone, appetite was back, etc.

Now, over the past two days or so , while still on the homeopathic regimen, I've noticed that her back legs have become swollen, as well as her stomach region. She also has developed a cough; dry retching cough. She continues to eat, have energy, drink water, go to the bathroom regularly, etc. My homeopathic vet says that symptoms will come and go during her program, which we've witnessed, but I've never seen her back legs swollen before - not even during this past summer. My mom and sister seem to think that I'm just tired (did not get any sleep last night or for the past few weeks) but I just don't think her legs look normal and her cough isn't normal either.

Does her latest symptoms sound like GDV? I truly hope not. We have a follow-up appointment with our homeopathic vet coming up soon - but unfortunately, she is long distance. I wish the vets in my area knew what they were doing, but unfortunately, the vets I've been taking my dog to for bloodwork are the best and most reliable in the area (which is two hours away from where I live).

Lola turned 12 years old this year, and she's never had any health issues. I'm doing my best to stay calm and loving. I've never really been used to this, and it's been a long six months of being calm and hopeful. I just hope that I am doing right by her.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I can't comment on her symptoms or say I've dealt with anything similar, but one thing I can say to you is this: trust your gut instincts, you know your dog. If you think her legs look swollen, even if everyone tells you that you're nuts, don't listen to them, just follow up on it.

I swore up and down to my vet that something wasn't right with my dog after his surgery, the vet thought I was insane. Turns out that he was developing a massive pressure sore under his dew claw because of the way his bandage was wrapped. There were no visible signs of this, but I just *knew* something wasn't right with him.

Just remember that you know your dog better than anyone else, and following up on something you perceive is better than leaving it and have it turn into something bigger. Good luck with her, I hope your vet visit goes well and you can get some answers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Hireth! We went with our gut instincts and we are taken Lola to a new vet this Friday for a second opinion - given that the other one hasn't been a lot of assistance in the past and her homeopathic one is many states away. My mother reminded me that when my Aunt visited this past summer, her feet and hands became bloated too. We don't know if what they both have are linked.

Thank you agility collie mom for the suggestion and link! We were looking into heart issues, especially congested heart failure. We will be bringing this up on Friday to our newer vet and keeping an eye on Lola too.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
How is Lola?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How is Lola?
Thank you for your concern, it truly means a lot.

We took Lola to a new vet yesterday, and he diagnosed her with abdominal cancer. A different vet we took her to in July only diagnosed her with colitis, which fit her symptoms at the time, but he misdiagnosed the colitis, and both him and another vet back in April should have alarmed us that her bloodwork was all over the place. Apparently it was a lot worse than just elevated liver enzymes. The bloatedness is fluid build-up that has spread to her legs, abdomen, and lungs. She currently only has 25% left of one lung to use while the other one is 100% full. Our new vet recommended removing the fluid from her lung but that would just refill unless we intended to do chemo. If we removed fluid from her stomach, that would be removing the little bit of protein she has left. Even though she is drinking water and eating, the buildup is quite severe. If we did chemo, there's a chance she wouldn't survive and we would be putting her through a lot of procedures only to get the same outcome.

She only has a limited time amount left. I'm honestly heartbroken.... We're enjoying her company at home and making her as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I am so sorry. My heart goes out to Lola and you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts