Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Spirit, my 2 yr old SCWT mix chews on a rope or her Nylabone bone I notice she sometimes leaves a very faint blood stain. Honestly, I can only see it cause part of the rope is white & the nylabone is light colored.

She doesn't seem to be in pain and continues to chew on my & her chews as normal. I've looked in her mouth and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. No bleeding or infections that I can see.

Is this something I should have the vet look at? Is this normal?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I would see the vet. I just went yesterday for a huge swollen eye lid on my little dog that came out of nowhere. I don't try to make guesses on things like that for instance, or bleeding issues. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't give her bones. I'm not sure if she's big enough for bones. As far as chewing she chews my hands & feet mainly followed by ropes and the nylabone.

It's almost time for her to get her annual shots. Guess I visit the vet early.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is this where I assume your misguided vet misguidedly misguided you into not giving your dog bones?
If it's a little dog give him tiny little bones, chicken wings for example. Never cooked bones.
Despite the fact that many pet food company funded vets are now advising not to give dogs raw meat or bones the truth of the matter is that bones are one of the best things to give your dog almost daily. Chewing the bones does a wonderful job of cleaning the teeth, getting rid of all the nasty stuff that builds up on them, without the teeth being cleaned properly (let's face it none of the kibble or dental treats do the job well enough) all that horrible dog breath causing stuff gets absorbed into and builds up in the dog's system and causes all the health problems for which people are constantly going back to the vet to get treated. More money for the vet.
Chewing on hard rubber toys like Kongs (I never tried the nylabones) helps massage the gums so keep that up.

I would see the vet. I just went yesterday for a huge swollen eye lid on my little dog that came out of nowhere. I don't try to make guesses on things like that for instance, or bleeding issues. Better safe than sorry, I always say.
Abbylynn is right on the money, anything that gives you cause for concern, such as bleeding from the gums, could be a sign of something serious and it's always best to jump on these things quickly. It could be anything as bad as a form of cancer right down to something as simple as the dog's diet.
I would trek down to the vet to make sure there's nothing serious then start her on a good raw meat and bone diet, check out http://www.rawmeatybones.com there's stacks of helpful info there.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
It is fairly common for strong chewers, such as Labs or Pits, to bleed a little. Don't know about Terriers.

Not to start a flame-war, instead to get the other side prepared:
My dentist uses turkey necks with his standard poodles. I asked my Vet and she gently said that she'd prefer that I not use raw bones, because of the slight chance of my dog swallowing a large piece, requiring surgery. My dog is a Lab mix, and I think that my Vet's concern is a valid probability ... he eats and swallows like a goat, and we've been lucky .... so I brush his teeth, which works fine. I recognize that everyone doesn't have that type of patience. So, if the Vet recommends against raw bones, what do you say?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts