Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bland treat alternatives* when battling diarrhea?

We just finished our first round of Panacur for Giardia. Benji's stools were looking better for a few days when I was feeding him chicken with broth to get him to take his medicine. After we finished, I started to add regular kibble back in to his diet. We are also crate and leash training right now (we live in the city), so treats are a common reward at the moment.

Well, a day after finishing the first round of Panacur, the diarrhea started back up. It was also about the time I got his favorite cheddar flavored treats in the mail. So I'm not sure if it's just the Giardia or if it's a combination of the kibble and treats or both.

The vet has now put him on a bland-diet, no kibble or treats until the stools are firm again. I have white rice and pumpkin on my grocery list for today, but I'm curious if anyone has any bland treat alternative recommendations while battling this stool problem?

I just bought him a Kong and a bunch of treats that I now can't use to fill it. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried to freeze pumpkin and cottage cheese inside of the Kong? And if that was successful? Any other recommendations?

I'm assuming peanut butter probably isn't a good idea right now since it's not exactly on the bland food list. So I need some creative ideas that don't include this ingredient.

If anyone has any bland baked treat recipes, Please pass them along!

Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
My dog can't eat a lot of fatty foods simply because she gains weight easily. So I'm always using more simple bland foods. For kongs I really like using a mixture of pumpkin and applesauce frozen into it. Both plain of course. You don't want applesauce with sugar and other junk added. Plain Greek yogurt also works for my dog, but while for some dogs yogurt soothes the stomach, for others any dairy can cause stomach upset.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have had good luck with plain pumpkin for tightening up their stools if it was just something they ate, like too many treats or something that did not agree with them. I usually buy a can of pumpkin, open it up and freeze it in ice-cube trays so I is always there if I need it and usually you do not need a lot at one time. Once it is frozen, I put it into a zip-lock bag till I need it. Seems to work just as well even with a bit of freezer burn if it is in the freezer for quite a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had good luck with plain pumpkin for tightening up their stools if it was just something they ate, like too many treats or something that did not agree with them. I usually buy a can of pumpkin, open it up and freeze it in ice-cube trays so I is always there if I need it and usually you do not need a lot at one time. Once it is frozen, I put it into a zip-lock bag till I need it. Seems to work just as well even with a bit of freezer burn if it is in the freezer for quite a while.
This is a great idea, thank you! I bought a can and barely used any of it before it was time to throw it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming no sensitivity to chicken, I would use chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small bits for treats
This has been our best option.

And now we have found out he also really loves apples. So I've been feeding him apple slices and chicken.

His stools got worse after adding rice and pumpkin so I took it out to see what happened. Now they are good. I'm going to add in the rice again just to confirm it wasn't part of the problem, but things are definitely looking up. :) Thanks for all the info everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts