Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mumble and I just got back from the vet. He has thrown up about 3-4 times in the past week/week and a half. It's always a bit of fluid, sometimes foamy. It's been very infrequent so I didn't take him in until today. He's still eating and pooping like normal.

Anyway, she told me to put him on a "bland" diet for now, and gave me some cans. She also started talking about a dog that got salmonella from Taste of the Wild (what I feed) and said she didn't trust that brand and suggested I switch diets.
And then she listed off a who's-who of mediocre foods, such as Science Diet and Pro Plan. :/

I like my vet, and I trust her, but I know that most vets don't have much nutrition knowledge, and she is not the exception.

I want to follow her instructions, but I don't want to feed pro plan or science diet.
But I have no idea what "bland" means in terms of dog food.
Any suggestions?

She gave me a few cans of Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat. It's ingredients aren't terrible.

Water, Turkey Liver, Pork Liver, Rice, Egg White, Rice Flour, Pork By-Product, Whole Grain Corn, Egg Product, Flaxseed, Dried Beet Pulp, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Ginger Root Powder....

·
Registered
740 Posts
Why don't you try feeding some pre-made raw food? Can't get any 'blander' than that as it's all natural :) It's just meat, bones, cartiledge and some varieties have bits of veggies in it. I use Tollden Farms. Then once your dog gets better, you can try another kibble food like Orijin or Acana ^_^

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The old standby for bland food is boiled chicken/beef or scrambled eggs with rice or oatmeal. If it's just temporary, that should work. If it's just a transient upset tummy, I see no reason to switch foods permanently, if he's generally doing well on it.

I don't know about a full raw diet with an upset stomach. . .sometimes bone can be a problem for tender tummies, even ground bone. Boneless raw would be bland, although I imagine the vet is probably not for a raw diet either :p.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Usually bland is low fat foods and the simpler the better. Raw is simple but not very low fat.

If you notice a time that the vomiting happens try giving a treat just before hand or add an extra meal per day by dividing what he gets into 3 rather than 2. Perhaps he just has that annoying empty tummy vomiting happening right now for some reason.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old standby for bland food is boiled chicken/beef or scrambled eggs with rice or oatmeal. If it's just temporary, that should work. If it's just a transient upset tummy, I see no reason to switch foods permanently, if he's generally doing well on it.

I don't know about a full raw diet with an upset stomach. . .sometimes bone can be a problem for tender tummies, even ground bone. Boneless raw would be bland, although I imagine the vet is probably not for a raw diet either :p.
He does do well on his food. And we've had this particular bag for a couple weeks. She kept saying "I don't trust this brand at all" but she had read the story about the dog with salmonella just last night, and it was a really awful story so I think that's a big factor here. I know Diamond had some recalls a while back, but I checked my bags at that time and none of them were in the recalled lots.
I was thinking about changing to something else after he finished this bag, just for the sake of variety. The visit today just had me thinking maybe I should do it sooner.

It is meant to be temporary, to see if his food is the cause. I think I'll just feed the cans she gave me as they seem to fit what's being suggested here.

And I didn't want to mention raw to her, as it didn't seem "bland" to me. She probably wouldn't approve of it, either.

"I try to stick with the brands that have been around the longest."
*sigh*
But I really do like her.

Usually bland is low fat foods and the simpler the better. Raw is simple but not very low fat.

If you notice a time that the vomiting happens try giving a treat just before hand or add an extra meal per day by dividing what he gets into 3 rather than 2. Perhaps he just has that annoying empty tummy vomiting happening right now for some reason.
That's one of the weird things about this (besides having no other symptoms), he seems to do it at completely random times. Sometimes it's at night, sometimes morning, in between. I wish he could be more straight-forward about his ailments.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Could he be stressing about something? I would go ahead and feed him one more meal a day to see what happens. They don't have to be equal sized meals or anything.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really can't think of anything, absolutely anything that has changed in our lives. I'm going to be giving him food more often throughout the day. Maybe it is just his current habits.

It is a puzzle. Hopefully it'll pass.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today Mumble threw up again. But instead of just fluid, there was something else. Hard and round, about the diameter of a quarter and a quarter inch thick. I had no idea what it was. I put it in a ziploc and we went to the vet. I was freaking out because I had no idea what it could possibly be.

It was the end of a corn cob. How did he get that in his belly? No idea. But that could have been his problem the entire time.

This dog. I love him but sometimes he just makes no sense.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Today Mumble threw up again. But instead of just fluid, there was something else. Hard and round, about the diameter of a quarter and a quarter inch thick. I had no idea what it was. I put it in a ziploc and we went to the vet. I was freaking out because I had no idea what it could possibly be.

It was the end of a corn cob. How did he get that in his belly? No idea. But that could have been his problem the entire time.

This dog. I love him but sometimes he just makes no sense.
I've entirely given up trying to figure out how or why. As as I can tell, aliens like to drop by and feed my dog random items for fun.

I wouldn't switch the food if Mumble generally does well on it. As for salmonella, those recalls are for the humans handling the food, not the dogs. Dogs don't get salmonella unless they are severely ill in some other way, which means the salmonella isn't the real issue.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thumper & Cash had this happen just a little while ago, pretty much the same thing, they were puking up stomach bile, foamy/liquidy stuff once or twice a day off and on for a week and a bit. They were still acting normal, eating, drinking, pooing normally and all that so I didn't bother taking themin to the vet because generally I know these issue's sort themselves out. I feed raw, so they didnt eat the same thing every single day and wether I fed ground raw or bony meals it didn't affect or change the condition, and one day it was just gone and thinking back the only thing different that he had gotten in that time were these new bully sticks I bought, since the brand I normally buy were sold out, I bought these others ones That I've never bought before and I had given them both one that week, normally they will down one in a day, but they picked away at these ones and didn't seem to like them as much, but, desperate to satisfy their chewing urges they nibbled on them occasionally, and I think that it was probably the bully sticks that caused it, cus as soon as I had picked up the 3/4 chewed stubs off the floor that they had picked away at that week, the puking stopped.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I guess I am lucky. Max would get a tummy ache and vomit really horrible stuff every once in a while. There would be a chunk of stuff in there and slow learner me finally figured out it was always the cartilage knob off MY cooked chicken or cooked gizzards. He was able to clear the stomach in one go, unlike Mumble. If I had just put things together faster the poor guy would have had fewer tummy aches.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've entirely given up trying to figure out how or why. As as I can tell, aliens like to drop by and feed my dog random items for fun.
I think this might be a valid theory.

I wouldn't switch the food if Mumble generally does well on it. As for salmonella, those recalls are for the humans handling the food, not the dogs. Dogs don't get salmonella unless they are severely ill in some other way, which means the salmonella isn't the real issue.
Okay, this is what I thought! Thank you for reassuring me. I was pretty sure I had read that the salmonella was affecting the owners and not the dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts