Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu/Pekingese mix that had been having some bladder issues, blood in her urine, urinating frequently, and dribbling urine. We took her to the vet a few weeks ago and they did a urinalysis, which found some blood in the urine, so they put her on some antibiotics for 2 weeks and told us to bring a urine sample a week after that. Yesterday, we brought a urine sample because she was still urinating blood and they did an xray, which showed a bladder stone. They believe its a struvite stone, but couldn't say for sure. They put her on Hills S/D for 8 weeks, which they said should dissolve the stone if it is a struvite. They said no other food or treats besides the Hills. They also said only give her distilled water. They said if the S/D clears it up, she'll need a special diet for the rest of her life to stop them from coming back, Hills C/D I believe they said.

I have a few questions.
First, most of the grocery stores around here let you bring in jugs to fill with reverse-osmosis water. Will this work the same as distilled or do we need to buy the jugs of distilled?
Second, are there other options besides Hills C/D? I've done a little research and it seems like Hills C/D isn't that healthy. We currently feed her Iams ProActive Health Adult Small & Toy Breed, which from my research isn't that great either. What other brands would you recommend, something that is going to be more healthy than the Hills and Iams, plus help prevent stones from reoccurring? Any supplements we could give? Possibly using home-made food?
Third, are there any types of treats we can give after the S/D diet is done? Is a rawhide to chew on while bored considered a treat?

We did find a place in the area that deals with pet nutrition and all they sell is natural and raw dog food and treats. Their website says they can help us choose the right diet for our pet. We're hoping to make an appointment there and see what they have to say also.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
i work at our local shelter and we just got in a dog the same breed as yours she is eight same symtems we veted her she had 4 ping pong size stones and several little ones she also has been put on hills the people that adopted her know she will have to be on that for the rest of her life i know the food is not great but if it helps with the stones i would use it our shelter vet only charged us 400.00 its a 1100 dollor operation
jamie

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'd do more research before staying on the script food forever. Struvites are formed because the urine is alkaline because there is an infection. Cure the infection and the urine pH goes down and the crystals don't precipitate out and form into stones. There are other types of stones and each needs a different treatment so be certain this stone is struvite only. Here is something to get started.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/category/bladder-stones/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts