Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I hope this is where to post this....I thought food forum, then the health forum....so I decided here.....like I said, I hope it's okay....

I was asked this question in another facebook group......anyone know of anything or what to help this lady with? Thanks!!

**How many of you have had calcium oxcillate bladder stones in your papillons and or have had to have surgery? Our Vet recommended Hills Prescription Diet UD after Cosmo had surgery. No dry food; only wet and low protein only.
Does anyone have another diet that was recommended for same problem as my dog really doesn't like his food! He also has digestive problems with any kind of meat or chicken. Thanks.**

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

My cat has stones, but I can't remember what kind.....I could find out. He had stones removed twice, and has them again......I will not do a 3rd surgery as it is sooooo hard on him for the recovery, and they just come back....he is 14 years old......The vet also had him on that perscription diet.....well, he quit eating it so now he is on wellness indoor cat.......I wonder if dog stones are any different and I wonder if I am doing the best for my ca,t as this lady wonders about her dog/pap's food......

Off to work for me.......Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you may have stumped some the dog food experts as in general they like high protein foods. I've even recommended adding some Evo to prescription diets to boost the protein a bit, but of course not for UD.

The UD also seems to be particularly untasty to many dogs. There are alternatives though. People certainly prepare their own cooked dog food (usually rice, veggie, and a protein). Also, I don't think dogs need be to 100% UD and so another healther/tastier wet food can be combined. But also note that treats should be changed also as many are bad for a UD diet.

But I would repost your request (or a mod can move?) in the food forums to get the good answers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts