Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
:)Hi, glad to see my post is active again... I have to attach some new pictures of Riley as she has GROWN. She is almost 9 months now. She does resemble River in the 1st photo. She is still a very close match to Mac n Roe's 'Roe Roe'
and Laura's 'Rambo'. Riley has also developed many more black spots on her tongue and the top inside of her mouth is almost ALL black.
I think she may be mixed BMC and some pit bull, everyone who sees her insists she's part Pit. So, who knows! All I know is she has a very strong personality and has to be kept in line. I cannot slack on the discipline with her!
Although, she is still my lovable baby girl!

·
Banned
92 Posts
Thanks MnR, I almost lost both of them in January.:( Thankfully they're with me to stay, I hope.
I did forget to mention that River has a great deal of webbing between the toes... as much as April. That does support the Catahoula in him.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Thanks MnR, I almost lost both of them in January.:( Thankfully they're with me to stay, I hope.
OMG? What happened? I hope they are with you to stay too! I don't know what I'd do if I lost my Mac or Roe. They are my world.

:)Hi, glad to see my post is active again... I have to attach some new pictures of Riley as she has GROWN. She is almost 9 months now. She does resemble River in the 1st photo. She is still a very close match to Mac n Roe's 'Roe Roe'
and Laura's 'Rambo'. Riley has also developed many more black spots on her tongue and the top inside of her mouth is almost ALL black.
I think she may be mixed BMC and some pit bull, everyone who sees her insists she's part Pit. So, who knows! All I know is she has a very strong personality and has to be kept in line. I cannot slack on the discipline with her!
Although, she is still my lovable baby girl!
OOOOH, I'd love to see updated pictures of Riley! Ya know, a lot of BMC's do look a lot like what most people would consider (when I say 'most', I mean the general public..not people that are knowledgeable of the APBT or AST)..to be a 'pit bull'. Check out these pictures...

http://kdsblackmouthcurs.com/pictures

Roe looks JUST like KD's Loushes and Clyde and Durrett's Tex.

·
Banned
92 Posts
OMG? What happened? I hope they are with you to stay too! I don't know what I'd do if I lost my Mac or Roe. They are my world.
My wife passed away Dec. 13th 2008. I'm disabled and currently using some nursing. I needed a live-in assistant by the end of February. Even though I own my house, I was in jeopardy of going to a facility for who knows how long. That would have meant giving my four-legged kids up. I got a live-in and that saved my kids.

Geez... upon further examination the roof of River's mouth is black as well as his gums and cheeks. BMC?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
On further examination, River does have black on the roof of his mouth as well as on his gums and and cheeks.
Hmmm, interesting. In actuality, there's really no way to tell. But I think you could get away with calling him a Catahoula + BMC mix. Sure, why not. I am by no means an expert on the BMC, and I couldn't really say one way or the other. I guess what really matters is what you are comfortable with.

Have you read the breed characteristics and determined if River exhibits any of the breed personality traits, hunting instincts, things like that?

·
Banned
92 Posts
Have you read the breed characteristics and determined if River exhibits any of the breed personality traits, hunting instincts, things like that?
Oh yeah. Kind of scary. He has the same traits as described on many sites. Extremely gentle (uh, like many dogs), aloof with strangers, the soft temper (does not like harsh words), an obsession with pleasing us. Extremely protective of the house. He has this strange need to try and rescue my female Catahoula from bathing in the shower. The hunting thing is well displayed during play with birds and squirrels. He has that Catahoula trait of trying to own a specific human.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know if this thread is still current. She looks just like my Rusty... he's 6 months. I got him from walmart (I live in texas what can I say) and was told he was a boxer lol! Not really! Good luck on your search. :O) I have come to the conclusion that he is a black mouth cur. Is yours crazy?

·
Banned
92 Posts
Don't know if this thread is still current. She looks just like my Rusty... he's 6 months. I got him from walmart (I live in texas what can I say) and was told he was a boxer lol! Not really! Good luck on your search. :O) I have come to the conclusion that he is a black mouth cur. Is yours crazy?
My River is kind of nutty...mostly hard headed. However, he is part Catahoula Leopard which makes him unusual in behavior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah I do know about catahoula's lol I had a catahoula pit mix... she was a beautiful dog so sweet. Rusty is even more hard headed than I ever thought a dog could be. He got hit in the head HARD by a large rope pull and now has a permant lump on his forehead from it. He has no sense of fear and has already gotten him in trouble several times

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I was wondering about the breed of our new puppy!? Her mother was a found BMC, that the couple kept, until she delivered her puppies & they think that the daddy, must have been a black lab (as two of the litter, were almost solid black). Cami (short for camoflauge) is full brindle & one of her sister was completely marked as a "pure" BMC. My husband & I really don't see ANY lab in Cami & believe that maybe she is a "mix" cur, or possible the puppy of a lost bred BMC?? My husband has bred alot of dogs, but never curs.....& we just don't know about the "lab part? I was hoping maybe some one could help decipher this for us?? We don't care either way...but would just like to know, if possible!? Thanks SO much for any help!! :D
[/IMG]

These are just a few pics of our Cami!! Xoxo
Thanks Again!!!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure looks like it to me. That is what a couple people have told me I adopted too. Got him at 10 weeks. He's about 4 months in this pic. People have suggested everything from pit, to boxer, to mastiff

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
riley.jpg

We got Riley as a puppy 5yrs ago. I was told at the time he was a yellow lab mix. I came across this post when I was browsing about different dogs and there he was! He is quite the athlete and very muscular! Loves to chase squirrels and gets the rabbits in the yard every year. I checked his mouth and it is black inside and he also has black spots on the tongue. I hope with the pictures included, there is someone that can give me some insight. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
We adopted a puppy from a shelter. We were told that she was a bullmastiff lab mix. Did a dna test which said corgi mix. That is so far off the mark. Someone recently told me she looked like a blackmouth cur. Never heard of the breed but was surprised at how much this puppy looks like a BMC. Even more surprising is reading about their escape artist abilities. Our puppy has escaped from her crate and climbed over every babygate from early on. Here is a picture - let me know what you think. She is about 17 weeks old in this pic.

march 472.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
We were told that she was a bullmastiff lab mix. Did a dna test which said corgi mix. That is so far off the mark. Someone recently told me she looked like a blackmouth cur. Never heard of the breed but was surprised at how much this puppy looks like a BMC.

The Black Mouth Cur is said to have descended from the American Dingo (the indigenous dog of the Native American's that came over on the Bering Strait,) and the Mastiff and Greyhound, introduced by the Spanish Settlers. There is a Cur line from the UK that is an ancestor of the Corgi, so that may explain the DNA. The Mastiff provides the coloring. Have you noticed your dog is fast? BMC's are especially athletic- agile and fast, which might be the Greyhound influence. You'll also find the shape of the torso to resemble a Greyhound.

These are highly intelligent dogs, quite sensitive, protective and playful. They're excellent with children. They need a lot of stimulation and exercise. They also need firm but gentle leadership.

Obviously, I'm crazy about my BMC!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Black Mouth Cur is said to have descended from the American Dingo (the indigenous dog of the Native American's that came over on the Bering Strait,) and the Mastiff and Greyhound, introduced by the Spanish Settlers. There is a Cur line from the UK that is an ancestor of the Corgi, so that may explain the DNA. The Mastiff provides the coloring. Have you noticed your dog is fast? BMC's are especially athletic- agile and fast, which might be the Greyhound influence. You'll also find the shape of the torso to resemble a Greyhound.

These are highly intelligent dogs, quite sensitive, protective and playful. They're excellent with children. They need a lot of stimulation and exercise. They also need firm but gentle leadership.

Obviously, I'm crazy about my BMC![/QUOTE]

Hi Kristen - thanks for the info - very interesting. The picture I attached was not best for detail, I will include a better one. The more I learn about this breed, the more convinced I am that she is mostly BMC. We had our dog trainer back this week. He has not seen her since she was around 11 weeks. I told him that I thought we figured out what she is and before I could get it out he said "she is a blackmouth cur". Then proceeded to tell my why he is certain she is a BMC. She is 5 months old this week doing awesome on her training and loves all the kids that come and go around here. We did not plan on a hunting dog (we have a pet bunny and cat also); however, I think she will be just fine. We love her!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.