Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
LOL- Oh I wish mine would lay down alittle- she's always on the go- until about 8:30 at night and she seems to calm down (maybe because thats when my son goes to bed too)!
Im watching my nephews long haired dachshund (Hannah) until Christmas time. And Im trying slowly to introduce them. I keep them on different floors most of the time. They are better when they go outside but in the house, Riley is too pushy. Like I said, I have to watch she doesn't bite her. Im trying to put them together alittle more each day. Hannah does not have any interest in playing with her AT ALL. But I can't stand hearing Riley whine to get by her all the time. They'll probably like each other right about the time Hannah leaves!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, I like to look up what kinds of breeds might be mixed into my puppy. I have also been told he looked like a BMC. I got him from a shelter, and they told me he was a lab mix (but at 8wks it was hard to tell what he could have been). Mine is named Rambo, in these pics he's 16 - 18wks, and weighing about 37lbs. He looks a lot like the other pics posted.

Laura

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Mac N Roe- I guess Riley is considered fawn color. I did look in her mouth and the roof is pretty dark, I laugh every time I see that black spot tho. I can't believe there are other dogs with it. I thought she was a freak of nature. I still cant believe how much she looks like Roe. Especially in the 3rd picture, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. How is her temperment? Ive tried to introduce her to other dogs (they were smaller) but she is tooooo rough. She is so strong Im afraid she will hurt them. I can't tell if shes trying to bite or just play. Are they known to socialize ok ?
Yep, Riley would be the fawn color. She definitely looks like Roe..and I picked that third picture because she really looked like Riley in one of your photos. Roe is very friendly to people..and good with kids. She is not aggressive with other dogs..but she really only prefers to play with Mac (her brother/littermate). With other dogs, she will meet/greet them very friendly, but she doesn't engage in a lot of play. HOWEVER, with Mac..they are VERY playful and LOVE to play chase. They are rather rough with each other, but they know each other well and are confident with each other's play style.

It sounds like Riley is just a puppy trying to play. You would know if she was being aggressive...sounds like typical puppy play and maybe she doesn't know her strength with smaller dogs. That being said, if you are uncomfortable..you are doing the right thing by seaparating and/or redirecting.

Mac'n'Roe were pretty good with smaller dogs as puppies, I'd be nervous about it now because they LOVE to chase and are so big and strong..I'd really have to watch it. They have a high prey drive. And, I think they would have to be one on one...I wouldn't let both of them play with a small dog together I don't think.

Every dog is different though. Socialization depends on a lot of factors - nature (genetics) and nurture (plenty of socialization early).

HI, I like to look up what kinds of breeds might be mixed into my puppy. I have also been told he looked like a BMC. I got him from a shelter, and they told me he was a lab mix (but at 8wks it was hard to tell what he could have been). Mine is named Rambo, in these pics he's 16 - 18wks, and weighing about 37lbs. He looks a lot like the other pics posted.

Laura

Hey Laura. Gorgeous dog! Just for The record, I did a DNA test on Roe's littermate (the brindle in my avatar) and the results came back as boxer/lab. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some lab in there somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Laura- Rambo looks like Riley too- I agree with Mac N Roe though, she could be part lab. Here is a pic of Riley tonight. She resembles him alot in it. Does he have the black spot on his tongue too? LOL
I would love to know if anyone from the Greenville, S Carolina area knew of any litters born on 4th of July. I am so curious about her history. Im obsessed now with finding out more about her. Since she came up to NJ. Not alot of people have heard of the BMC breed. Im glad I came across this forum, Ive learned so much already.
Riley was better with Hannah tonight too, but my husband was with them, I think she behaves better with him around anyway. She wasn't as rough. I have to bring her around dogs her size and see how she acts.
I was considering the DNA test- but BMC wouldn't show up right?
~~KIM

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was considering the DNA test- but BMC wouldn't show up right?
Right...BMC isn't a breed. It's a type of a dog, so it's basically a mutt consisted of several different breeds. However I've yet to find any information on what breeds a BMC originated from.

Also about the dna tests...I've heard of several people saying they had one done, and none of those tests were 100% correct.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
LOL, nope...BMC isn't on the breed list of any of the DNA tests I've seen. In all honesty, it's a new technology...so you have to take the results as a grain of salt. I've heard mixed reviews about it's accuracy. They only detected 'trace' amounts of boxer and lab (and australian terrior) in Mac. Not sure how much I believe it. I honestly wouldn't spend the money again to do it.

Not sure if you'll find the litter she came from. I wouldn't expect that she is what they call a 'pure bred' BMC. The black mouth cur essentially is a 'mixed breed' dog...but the breed is now recognized (by the UKC) and there are breeders which breed lines of the BMC. They are primarily bred as hunting dogs. I'm sure you've done some research on google..but this is a good site..they have links on the breeder page to different breeders. I cannot say anything about the reputation of the breeders...just offering a source of information. These different pages will offer info on the breed and pictures!!! Again, I don't think your dog necessarily came from one of these breeders, most likely she's a dog from an accidental litter or stray litter...but that's just a guess. I rescued my two (and their mom and the rest of their litter) from an abandoned home..they were stray dogs. Do a google search for 'black mouth cur' - you'll find a lot of information about the breed.

http://www.blackmouthcur.com/

Right...BMC isn't a breed. It's a type of a dog, so it's basically a mutt consisted of several different breeds. However I've yet to find any information on what breeds a BMC originated from.
I, too, haven't been able to determine what they are mixed from, as I think it is rather vague and unknown. BUT, it is now considered a breed and is registered with the UKC.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/BlackMouthCur

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do a google search for 'black mouth cur' - you'll find a lot of information about the breed.
I've spent a lot of time searching google for information, and the thing is there really isn't that much information.

There's a bunch of websites, but they all basically say the same thing. There's also not a single reliable forum for BMCs that I've been able to find.

Thanks for the UKC link. I just read every bit of detailed information they provide, and except for all the white my dog has I'd say he's spot on for everything else. It's hard to say if he has less than 10% white on his body, because he does have quite a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yup, thats what I figured, I think I learned more from this forum, I don't really need the DNA proof! And we LOVE her, doesn't matter what she is. Its nice to hear that so many people still go to shelters. We wanted a Doberman at first because my husband had them and we loved the breed. But they are $2000 here and there are so many dogs that NEED homes. We were in Myrtle Bch on vacation and got home and heard that so many dogs were in shelters due to the hurricanes down south. We could have brought one back with us!! But we were lucky to find a shelter here in NJ that was bringing them up and fostering them until they could find homes. I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I've spent a lot of time searching google for information, and the thing is there really isn't that much information.

There's a bunch of websites, but they all basically say the same thing. There's also not a single reliable forum for BMCs that I've been able to find.
I agree that there really isn't that much information, as in information as for their history (what breeds they came from). But for someone who is new to looking at the breed, she can gather all the information that you and I obviously have. (looks like we've read all the same things :))

I saw a good article a little while ago that had some extensive history that i hadn't seen before, i'm trying to find it.

here it is...

"Why isn’t there a single description of the Cur? Partly due to the fact that the "Cur" is a type and not a specific breed. The Cur has evolved into several breeds to meet the needs of different climates and functions. Here are a few examples to illustrate this distinction. Originally there was a group of dogs used to hunt raccoons in the southern part of the United States and were logically called "Coonhounds." In the beginning, there were Walkers, Blueticks, and/or Black and Tans born from the same parents in the same litter. The latter distinction was based on their color. Later, when people bred for a specific color pattern, the mixture of different colors in a litter occurred less and less often. After generations of breeding for one trait, in this example color, not only were the dogs consistently producing the specific color, but because the breeders were limited to only propagating dogs from within their elite group, there also developed a genetic drift in their abilities. The Walkers run the fastest track, the Blueticks are known for their grit, and the Black and Tans are known for their ability to work a cold trail. Therefore, no longer are they just the same type (Coonhound) but have also become distinct separate breeds based on a specific trait."

http://www.blackmouthcur.com/History.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mac'N'Roe, Thank you so much- I have something to read tomorrow. I will be starting to search for articles too. Anyone out there that has any photos or thinks they have a BMC- please join the forum. I would love to hear about them!

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agreed on the BMC references. I've actually learned the most from other BMC owners on Flickr -- look for the "Hawg Dawgz" group and also groups dedicated to specific lines like "Texas Blue Lacy" ... there's some very remarkable photographs of a very tough, easily trained, enduringly loyal dog breed. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are another dog with a similarly "mutt" ancestry... check their wikipedia page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think a few of these dogs look like curs. I would lean most towards the first one. I have a full blooded papered Souther black mouth cur. He is 6 and came from the Colorado area. I am in Washington. The first dog looks alot like my pup Saber. If I can figure out how I will post a picture.

Inside of his mouth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might say a mix. I have never seen one with blue eyes. That doesnt mean they aren't out there but I have never seen one and I have seen ALOT of Curs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It appears that my boy River is probably a BMC and not a Catahoula Bulldog. Thoughts?
There are a lot of dogs that look like a BMC. I would probably say this does NOT look like a BMC. In fact, the breed standard for a BMC calls against the one glass eye.

http://kdsblackmouthcurs.com/breed_standard

I'd say your probably right on with a catahoula/bully mix of some sort. BMC is a breed (not a recognized AKC breed, but UKC, and within the hunting community and they breed to standards). Just because a dog has a black mask muzzle doesn't make it a BMC. In fact, the black mask isn't the "black" they are referring to...its the inside of the mouth that is the distinctive black coloring. The boxer has fawn coloring with a black mask as well...as I'm sure others do as well.

Where are you located? That will be a clue too. If it WAS a BMC mix...that could be a possibility in the south, as that is where they are more common. EDIT: I see you are in Florida.

I see more catahoula/bully mix...then black mouth cur. Mainly due to the shape of the head, chest..the height of the withers. Things like that.

·
Banned
92 Posts
There are a lot of dogs that look like a BMC. I would probably say this does NOT look like a BMC. In fact, the breed standard for a BMC calls against the one glass eye.

http://kdsblackmouthcurs.com/breed_standard
Just because a dog has a black mask muzzle doesn't make it a BMC. In fact, the black mask isn't the "black" they are referring to...its the inside of the mouth that is the distinctive black coloring.
No black mouth at all with him. Just a boxy snout. When we rescued him they said he was a Catahoula mix. His looks made me think Catahoula Bulldog.

Where are you located? That will be a clue too.
Tallahassee, FL

If it WAS a BMC mix...that could be a possibility in the south, as that is where they are more common.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
river sure is handsome. I love those first two pics, and I agree that upon a quick glance...he does resemble the coloring of a BMC (the fawn with black mask). But structurally, I don't see it. Those first two pictures, river looks a lot like Roe in the face...but then the last two don't look anything like Roe. Funny how that works.

I'd be hesitant to call River a BMC just due to his coloring. I think you were right on with Catahoula/Bulldog mix. That pretty much covers a big gamet...and more than likely..he's a mix of a lot of different things :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.