Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued this puppy from a shelter in S Carolina when she was 10 wks/ they thought she was a boxer mix- ive been told that she looks like a BMC and now that ive read about them, she has all the traits! My kids would love to research her history and i would introduce her to hunting and other things that she needs. Any opinions would be appreciated- Thanks
*Photos attached are 10 wks & now at 4 months(In the Crate) . She weighs 35 pds. and has extremely muscular legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Looks like it could be. I think I have a black mouth cur too, or a mutt, which is pretty much what a BMC is lol

I've done a lot of searching for info on them, and there's really not that much out there...

They're more of a southern dog though, do you live in the south?

Here's some pics of my dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH she looks alot like her- I actually live in NJ but the pet shops up here were having alot of puppies coming up from SC when the hurricanes went thru. They thought she might have been boxer mix- which Im familiar with- but her traits were just not like that. I didnt care what she was, just a mut was fine by us too! LOL My brother is a dog trainer and he said she really resembled the BMC- so when I researched them, she has all the traits and looks Exactly like the photos. My kids adore her but I can tell when she is in the house all day, she gets cranky- she really needs to get out and run! How old is yours?

·
Registered
390 Posts
He'll be turning 1 year old this month I think. I got him from a shelter and they didn't know anything about him. They had him listed as a lab mix, and that was completely wrong, and they had age listed as 4-5 months old, and it was only a guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL- I KNOW- I thought maybe boxer because of the wrinkles on her head- until i looked at pics of a BMC. I had never heard of a Cur before. She really needs to run outside once a day, at least! She is so fast and strong- she hates to stay in. I wish I could find out for sure- I just say she's a mutt, but my kids are dying to know what breed she is. She's really mouthy too but Im chalking that up to the puppy stage!

·
Registered
390 Posts
She's really mouthy too but Im chalking that up to the puppy stage!
Mouthy as in just vocal? or mouthy as in will make a groaning type noise when you tell her no?

Mine is still vocal, but when he was a puppy he would definitely talk back if I told him no when he was a puppy.

Mine sorta sounds like the opposite of yours though. He doesn't run around the house if he stays inside all day. He has pretty good self control and for the most part he's calm. However, he loves to play and he can play for everrrrrrrrr. We go to the dog park at least 4 days a week though, for a minimum of 2 hours at a time, so I'm sure that helps lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly mouthy vocal! I laugh because she can back talk my husband as well as my kids do. She does get nippy at my son who is 7 yrs old and constantly RUNNING thru the house- she thinks he is her personal chew toy. Although as soon as I tell her NO and deepen my voice, she flops on her back, so I definately don't think its aggression. When he's calm-she's calm. I think the females are alittle crazier.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Awwwwww your puppy is beautiful. She looks JUST like my Roe Roe. I mean exactly like her. Roe is now 1 year old and about 60 lbs. I would have no hesitation in calling her a BMC. Although, her littermate is a brindle boxer mix...

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Well if all those dogs are BMC, than my best friends puppy is most DEFINATELY a BMC as well.

He even has a black spot on his tongue.. I am assuming thats where they get "black mouth" from?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
No, the black mouth comes from the roof of their mouth being dark pigmented.
Right. Actually, the Black Mouth Cur does not necessarily have the black muzzle that most people would think would be the distinctive feature. I was trying to find this qualification..as I knew I had read this somewhere. But I was having trouble finding where I saw it.

Also, the BMC is also more of a southern dog. It would be more likely for a mixed breed in the south to be a BMC than in the west (IMO). I think there are a lot of mixed breeds which tend to look like this. different mixes...I don't think that one could say that all dogs that look like this is a black mouth cur. Ridgebacks have this look....for example.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Right. Actually, the Black Mouth Cur does not necessarily have the black muzzle that most people would think would be the distinctive feature. I was trying to find this qualification..as I knew I had read this somewhere. But I was having trouble finding where I saw it.

Also, the BMC is also more of a southern dog. It would be more likely for a mixed breed in the south to be a BMC than in the west (IMO). I think there are a lot of mixed breeds which tend to look like this. different mixes...I don't think that one could say that all dogs that look like this is a black mouth cur. Ridgebacks have this look....for example.
Yep, 100%. Curs can really be any color. It's more the build, the baying hound dog bark, and the black mouth and throat exclusive of tongue. Who the heck knows what went into the breed, but they're kind of your all-purpose southern dog that can be easily trained. They're also called "Hog Dogs" around these parts. Ol' Yeller in the book and some movie adaptations were both BMCs.

One thing I've noticed that's weird between Eowyn (Ridgeback ancestry) and Henry is that Henry's eyes are green in the flash (the opposite of human red) and are easy to get to reflect, like most dogs -- but Eowyn's are yellow.

Example:
(Henry's on the right),

Eo:

·
Registered
390 Posts
One thing I've noticed that's weird between Eowyn (Ridgeback ancestry) and Henry is that Henry's eyes are green in the flash (the opposite of human red) and are easy to get to reflect, like most dogs -- but Eowyn's are yellow.
That's odd...If you look at my pictures I posted he has yellow eyes in both the pictures.

Green here though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG- Mac N Roe, your puppy looks exactly like Riley!! She has a dime size black spot on her tongue and her eyes are always glowing in pictures. I just read up on all the responses I got and cant believe all the pictures! She could have been in the same litter as Roe Roe if she was older. Riley is only 4 months. I have to download my other pictures and see what color her eyes are in the pics- I think they're yellow, I can't remember. So, I guess what I'm hearing is that they are really good dogs! Thats great! She was really easy to crate and house train- we got her at 10 wks and she went into her crate with no problem and had only 2 accidents in the house and thats because she doesn't bark at the back door, she just stands there and waits!! Can't wait to hear more, now that Im convinced shes a BMC!!!!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don't think the color of the eyes in the flash has anything to do with the heritage. I could be wrong though

And, BMCs are generally red, yellow, brindle, fawn or buckskin in color, according to the breed standard. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mac N Roe- I guess Riley is considered fawn color. I did look in her mouth and the roof is pretty dark, I laugh every time I see that black spot tho. I can't believe there are other dogs with it. I thought she was a freak of nature. I still cant believe how much she looks like Roe. Especially in the 3rd picture, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. How is her temperment? Ive tried to introduce her to other dogs (they were smaller) but she is tooooo rough. She is so strong Im afraid she will hurt them. I can't tell if shes trying to bite or just play. Are they known to socialize ok ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
She's probably just playing. Mine doesn't run around and chase other dogs all too much. He'd rather lay on the ground next to the dog hes playing with while they bite at their face and necks.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts