Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please offer any advice. Our dog is starving herself to death.

We have an 11 year old female black lab and trying to find a way to get her to eat. Refuses to eat anything. Zero appetite. Must force feed her frozen BilJac 2x per day.
Great looking dog, normal weight, but never a long-distance walker. Would always tire easily and had chronic light fur. A couple years ago, she was having panting attacks, and stood for hours, and seemed very passisvely anxious. Vet diagnosed her with thyroid issues, and the vet prescribed high doses of Soloxine. We since cut that in half to ~0.3mg 2x per day. Dog stopped eating. Vet ran an ultrasound but could find nothing. Next major tests are too expensive.
Dog spits up clear/white (not yellow) mucusy 2 times a day. She always spits up BEFORE we force feed her. If we force feed her before she spits up the clear liquid, then she vomits the food after feeding. As long as we follow the routine of force feeding her after the spit-up, then it seems she's keeping the weight on. If we don't force feed her, it seems she will become thin and die.
Vet prescribed 10mg Prednizone every other day. Did not make a difference. We discontinued.
Vet prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine one tablet every day - but this didn't seem to have an effect.
Vet prescribed 1/2 tablet of 10mg Metachlorpramide 2x per day to help with the vomiting, but this didn't seem to have an effect.
It's not so much a vomiting, as it is a spit up of sticky, slimy mucus (several ounces).
Vet prescribed 1/4 tablet of 25mg Chlorpromazine - which intially seemed to help her regain an appetite.
We were very excited that whe was eating again! But after about 3 weeks of this, she sinoly stopped eating on her own again.
This Chlorpromazine seems to make her sleepy, and perhaps a bit more settled, but still zero appetite.
Last year, after her first thyroid medicine was given (initially too high dose) she did seem to gain a nice fur coat, and her skin was not as dry.
But after the recent ultra sound, it's been several months, and her stomach fur has really not grown back in.
With the force feeding, she seems to be keeping upper weight on, but her mid section and rear are very thin.
She drools excessively, with long strands of saliva dangling from her mouth.
Spends most of day laying around, but seems very aware. Eyes track everthing. She goes outside on her own to potty. No indoor accidents. She seems pretty normal, yet not energetic.
Used to get excited to go on walks, but we never walk her anymore.
Still barks occassionally at strange noises like before.
Still wags her tail and seems to enjoy getting petted.

At this point, we're looking for any ideas on how we can reclaim her appetite, without spending big $$$ on MRIs, or other experimental exams, surgeries, etc.

We will likely continue for severl more weeks and see how this plays out.
Thanks for any help/advice you can supply.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'm sure you've tried all kinds of different food, right? Is she drinking, just not eating? How is her behavior otherwise, is she just laying around the house all day? Does your vet have any other guesses on what it might be (what tests did s/he want to do next)?

If the thyroid issues and panic attacks were a few years ago, it doesn't seem to me like they would be related to the issues she is having now. Were all those different meds tried recently to try to help her appetite and the stop the vomiting?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm assuming your vet did bloodwork to diagnose the thyroid problem and that it's hypothyroidism? Has your vet done bloodwork recently? I'm talking a complete profile not just the t4. I'm just wondering what his other values are....eg. kidneys, liver, etc. What about x-rays? You didn't say if the ultrasound produced any significant findings. Have you tried any gastroprotectants? Or could it be acid? Just drawing straws....

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That sounds like liver failure. What has he been tested for and how recently?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I don't have anything specific, but it sounds like it might be pain as well as anxiety. In addition to bloodwork for liver and kidney problems, as well as thyroid, you might ask for a simple mechanical test for arthritis. Basically, the Vet gently pulls each leg, and the dog will pull back, if there is pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts