Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,208 Posts
Is there any reason the dog can't fixate on this spot? eg he's destroying the yard in that spot or it's somehow unsafe? If not, I'd be inclined to let him sniff his heart out, sounds like he's getting some good natural enrichment out of it. If I needed to be able to call him in, I think I'd treat it similarly to resource guarding. Walk by while he's in the spot and drop extra nice goodies (cooked chicken, for example), until he anticipates your approach and looks up when you approach. Then slowly start asking him to take a step or two away from the spot to get the treat. You should release him back to the interesting spot as much as possible during training so he doesn't start to think treats and responding to you = the end of his outdoor fun. With this approach he should learn how to disengage from the spot to engage with you, and that responding to you doesn't end his sniffing and outdoor fun time so he's more relaxed about leaving that exciting environment.

If you really need to prevent the fixation altogether, I agree that some kind of barrier is probably your best bet, at least until the interesting smell goes away or your dog learns to do other things to entertain himself in the yard.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts