Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, we have had Jack for 2 wks now and we have seen some good and some bad.....he was coming along real good (had him where we could take toys and rawhides away from him, he crates really well, and can sometimes pick him up)....he still has some triggers that we're learning about but up until about 3 days ago we had made great progress.....well, it turns out that that was most likely due to a massive ear infection in both ears.....this poor guy was in so much misery, he pretty much had no fight....
ears....top pics is after cleaning, bottom one is what they looked like b/4 the cleaning....this is about 3-4 mo worth of infection building.....

needless to say, he is on ear drops once a day (after 4 days i can do it w/out to much fight, but still muzzled and "sat" on [pics coming]), Ketoconazole once a day and Cephalexin and Prednisone 2x a day.....this, needless to say, has got him feeling so much better that we have regressed to worse than when he came here (about a 10-15% progress to a -2)......and so, we persevere.....

he and i have had a "discussion" about getting this task accomplished....but, as it is going right now, if the daughters of the man that owned him don't want him, i don't know if i will feel comfortable placing him in another home, and i don't trust him w/ little ones.....wish me luck, all, that i can get him turned around.....i've done many others b/4 this but they were younger (not 6 yrs to undo).....

to date, he has gotten 4 bites and one good scratch in between my husband and i.....he is quick to trigger and even quicker to react w/out any audible warning (you really need to watch his eyes and body and most people just aren't that intune to dogs....

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, today his ear drops went a lot better.....not so much fight from him.....and he's back to showing some promise about giving up toys w/out risking losing a piece of flesh again.....here's a pic of how i have to hold him to do the drops.....oh, also, he weighed in at a whopping 30.9 lbs, about 6 lbs too heavy....
loving him after his 1st ear...

and doing the 2nd ear....

and just a couple from the other day....

Mon we attempt a bath....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That ear looks nasty....I was hoping you were going to say that his temperament totally changed for the better after the infection was treated...oh well...good luck with that bath on Monday.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Tirluc, That poor boys was probably in pain for quite some time and maybe his bites are his only way of letting you know. Hopefully once his ears are cleared up you will make all kinds of progress with him. He is a little cutie. I hope he gets fast progress with the recovery on his ears. I personally remember how much it hurt to have nasty ear infections. It is miserable. I can't imagine having it for a long time.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually, Inga, we were making more progress b/4 the cleaning....and the old lady that had him said that in the past couple mo he was really being better....but now that he is getting better, he seems to be going back to the way he has been for the past 6 yrs.....i still haven't given up hope for him, i'm just wondering what i'll do w/ him if/when we get it accomplished....he'll always have to be watched and kept on top pf and i wouldn't ever trust him around kids under 13 and then only ones that have been around dogs and are dog savvy.....which means he won't be able to stay here b/c of the grandkids.....he will be a hard one to place, what w/ his history.....but, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts