Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All dogs do really :).

But I was so saddened when I read about the black puppies that were dropped off in the "I am Sam" thread, where the woman was told that the pups will be put down because not many people adopt black dogs. It's sad for all dogs who end up in the pound, but why would the color be of any importance?

Anyway, we just adopted a black dog (hence me being here) and we've named her Blue; I've grown up with a black doxie mix, my AmStaff was mainly black, so was my Staffie and it dawned to me - I like black dogs :)).

So this thread is homage to black dogs. Feel free to post pics of your cuties.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My buff is a rescue, my black is not. I really like black dogs. Sadly they suck to get good pictures of ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
My girl Heather. My husband and I found her while walking Sasha; she was a great dog so we assumed someone was missing her and took her to the shelter. Unfortunately, no one ever came for her, and she was scheduled to be euthanized, so we went and got her. We have had her for 5 years now. We are so lucky - she is the best dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
This dog was due to be shot by animal control. It was in the country and they just shoot dogs that are "problem dogs" or "not adoptable" This loving dog was deemed unadoptable. She was a year old, had already been shot by her owner but it heeled some, was 50% of what her body weight should have been.

Then there is wonderful girl. I had to fight the board of directors of the local shelter to stop the euthanasia. She was found hanging in a garage at a house the cops had gone into on a drug bust. Her mouth was wired shut, there were bites all over her from being used as a training dog in dog fights. She couldn't fight back due to wired mouth. She could barely walk and she was of course, black. Unadoptable.

This gorgeous boy brought in by his owner to be euthanized because AC gave them an ultimatum. Fix the injuries or put to sleep. They had beaten the dog enough to break his jaw and fracture his hind leg. They obviously opted to put down.

Unadoptable?

Glad other's didn't figure it out as soon as I did. These dogs were all amazing.

People are fools and are led by their noses through life. They believe the media that says White is good and Black is bad. Dark dogs are dangerous while light colored dogs are friendly and wonderful. Sad but true. People are fools but in the case of all of my dogs .... I was the lucky one for taking the chances on these black dogs.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I love your story Inga ... yes I also adopt black dogs who would otherwise lose their lives due to the ignorance of some of the human race ...

Abbylynn

Benny

Kokomo ... Rott/Lab ... 9 months old ... beaten and starved and abandoned ... she is now 8 years old.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Amy dog. A friend found her wandering by a country road with a Border Collie looking dog in a storm. They kept the Collie and we took her. I hope this image isn't to big.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another view of Amy. She's got a great head for close-ups, in my biased opinion. People think Lab/Pit or Lab/Rottie.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'm a fan of the black dogs.

No real concrete reasons on why black dogs are not adopted. Lots of theories, and since black is a dominant color I am into the theory that there are just so many black dogs out there that it's hard to keep up on adoptions. In my short time working at a shelter I would say the black dogs hang around a bit longer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No real concrete reasons on why black dogs are not adopted. Lots of theories, and since black is a dominant color I am into the theory that there are just so many black dogs out there that it's hard to keep up on adoptions. In my short time working at a shelter I would say the black dogs hang around a bit longer.
I found this article on the topic which is very interesting: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1816859,00.html.

Whatever the reason, I am just glad we all adopted blackies ;).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I found this article on the topic which is very interesting: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1816859,00.html.

Whatever the reason, I am just glad we all adopted blackies ;).

Your post made me think of something ......

I just wanted to mention that my childhood dog that was given to me when I was one year old was black with white tipped feet. A terrier mix. He lived to be 17 years old ... and his name was " Blackie " :) He was just the best dog ever and I have never found another dog to even come close! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Your post made me think of something ......

I just wanted to mention that my childhood dog that was given to me when I was one year old was black with white tipped feet. A terrier mix. He lived to be 17 years old ... and his name was " Blackie " :) He was just the best dog ever and I have never found another dog to even come close! :)
17. Wow. That made me think of something too. When I was a dog walker in NYC I took care of a 19! year old dog, Shultzy, a (black I think, it was some 20 years ago) mutt, half blind, half deaf at that point. What a character he was. He still chased the cats in his apartment. I used to yell at him to warn him about fire hydrants and plenty of old NY ladies would yell at me for yelling at the dog lol. I had many a nice chat with those ladies after they found out that he was mostly deaf. That dog lived to be 21. Her owner was only 7 years older than her.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
17. Wow. That made me think of something too. When I was a dog walker in NYC I took care of a 19! year old dog, Shultzy, a (black I think, it was some 20 years ago) mutt, half blind, half deaf at that point. What a character he was. He still chased the cats in his apartment. I used to yell at him to warn him about fire hydrants and plenty of old NY ladies would yell at me for yelling at the dog lol. I had many a nice chat with those ladies after they found out that he was mostly deaf. That dog lived to be 21. Her owner was only 7 years older than her.

21 years old is great! I have heard that some dogs can possibly live well into their 20's if taken care of properly ... true? ... not sure ... but the two we know did well! :)

The oddest thing was that Blackie never ate dog food. I swear to you this is a true story. He lived on human food. My Mom spoiled him rotten. He had a stroke at the age of 14 years chasing the neighbors Doberman around in play ... and lived yet another 3 years ... probably had high cholesteral from all the people food! :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts