Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds dumb, but here it is: My dog nipped me when it was just 3-4 weeks old puppy.It broke skin and bled a little. I did not take any vaccination at that time. Now it has been 10 years. My puppy has developed into a healthy and a happy dog. She got all her vaccines on time. But thinking about that bite makes me nervous.
I know in most cases symptoms appear within 3 months, but while browsing i found rabies can have an incubation up to years.
What should do i do now? I am loosing sleep over the thing.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Your dog would have to have Rabies to bite you and give you Rabies and obviously it did not or it would not be alive today. If everyone who had a puppy bite them was going to die of Rabies, there would not be a person alive that has raised a puppy.
After ten years there is no way you could have Rabies.

Now if a strange dog or animal bit you, in some places you could get Rabies but you would have it and be dead years ago.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Your dog would have to have Rabies to bite you and give you Rabies and obviously it did not or it would not be alive today. If everyone who had a puppy bite them was going to die of Rabies, there would not be a person alive that has raised a puppy.
After ten years there is no way you could have Rabies.

Now if a strange dog or animal bit you, in some places you could get Rabies but you would have it and be dead years ago.
The above is absolutely correct. Puppies bite. Their sharp little teeth draw blood. I've never heard of anyone suffering disease from a puppy bite.
Sleep well. YOu are safe and well beyond the point of danger . . . if there was any danger . . . which is very very unlikely.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
This is a proven fact, the government has years of rabies research to go on: if your puppy was shedding rabies in her saliva when she bit you, she would have been dead within 2 weeks. An animal cannot transmit rabies and then survive. Once they're able to transmit the disease, they're already in the last stages.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that . I read over the internet that almost every dog breeder gets nipped by their puppies and they do not make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Puppy teeth are the worst! The worst I tell you...I can't wait until Casey loses her puppy teeth and quits giving poor Cocoa scabby neck syndrome. :)

But then she'll have her puppy license worn out...so she'd better be ready :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts