Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an anyone tell me when I can expect my pup to stop biting me? I've tried all the things people suggest, like a sharp 'NO! and giving her a toy, she's chews all the time. I know it's natural, and that she will eventually grow out of it, but can you give me a time frame? lol Not being impatient, but just for something to look forward to... 3 months, 6.... a year? :rolleyes:

p.s. i tried stuffed kongs, chew treats, but they all give her the poops. :eek:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If yelping, No and redirecting aren't working then leave the room. Just get up and walk out without talking to her or even looking at her. Losing her 'plaything' is devasting...now abandoned/alone. Wait 1 minute and when you get back in the room try the redirecting again. If she bites...leave. Sooner or later...hopefully sooner...she will get the message.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I'll try that. It also seems the more I scold her the worse she gets, I'm assuming that's playing for her! so as you say, the 'leaving the room' thing might just hammer home the rules!
also I'm quoting the dog whisperer here, (I LOVE him) that my scolding her is 'negative energy' and she is responding with a negative reaction.
so trying to stay calm and just walking out might just work!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I found the "yelp" method worked best with Corona.. it only took her a few days to get the idea, but she was probably about 3-4 months old before she really gave it up.

I'm trying it again with Aria, but don't seem to be making much progress.. though I haven't been as consistent as I should so... she does react to the yelp though, so I think it will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The two techniques that I used were yelping with a really high pitch and then turning my back. I wouldn't give any attention for about 30 secs and then resume. I also would give the sharp "no" and stick her in her crate for about 30 secs and then let her back out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The best teachers for teaching your pup bite inhibition are other dogs. I strongly recommend play dates, or day care (or the dog park if he/she's old enough). I had the same issues and started bringing mine to daycare, and within 1 week I noticed a HUGE improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts