Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biting...? Whats for dinner? Me.

I swear in the last few days my little guy has become way more aggressive. I dont know why. Someone mentioned that its because he's being held a lot!

Today I took him out to the bathroom area, and he didn't want to go (he started trying to eat leaves and spiderwebs) I picked him up to take away the stuff he had in his mouth and he got mad and growled and twisted and bit me hard.

I'm at a loss.

The last day I let him spend plenty of puppy time alone and he's been up playing for the last 30 minutes and since I am home today I plan on taking him out every hour, and then letting him spend sometime in the crate and play without being picked up.

Am I helping him? Or am I making this worse.

This is completely unacceptable behavior.

We worked on Bite inhibition so he knows he's biting hard. Good thing is he's not breaking the skin.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Being physically picked up is very threatening until they learn that no harm will come to them. That process of being manhandled/manipulated often takes time. Treating as you touch the ears, pick up the paws, stroke their backs, etc. shows them that good things happen when they're being handled.

The second threat was taking something away that he had. It's much better to teach the dog to give you whatever they've got without forcing it out of their mouth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I started today very slowly and very gently picking him up afterwards. Just giving him some warning that I was going to. I would put my hands around him like I was going to but leave them there for a few seconds before I lifted off. He seems to respond well to this, especially if there is a treat in my hand (I usually bring one out to reward him for going potty in the appropriate place.)

What would be the best way to start with the little guy giving me what he's chewing on...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Teaching the Give or Drop It command starts with the Exchange game...also call Object Exchanges. A typical approach starts off by trading up...giving something 'better' for whatever the dog has. For example, he has a sock/a toy/a ball/a rock/a piece of wood...you bring out a hot dog...wave it, shake it...encourage him to want the hot dog. When he drops whatever he has you give the hot dog and pick up what he had.

After some practice, you can start adding the command. This is not bribing.....you're teaching him to trust you when you say Drop It or Give.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts