Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Shadow is a biter, I have had her for about 3 weeks. She is 19 weeks old and I don't know what to do about her biting, I try to distract her with toys, I keep telling her no but nothing seems to be working. She has put many holes in my pants because we will be playing then jump up and bite my pants. Anyone have any tips to stop her?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh my goodness, my little pup is the same way. He is only 10 weeks old, I am pretty sure he doesn't mean to bite, like right now he is laying next to my feet and if someone see him now they will think he is the sweetest thing on planet earth. But when he gets all rilled up and running around, he just goes nuts and bites me rather seriously. He is my first ever pup so I am also asking around about this. Sorry I coulnd't answer your question, but I thought I will share with your pain :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have had a puppy before but I was younger. It's the first puppy that I really have to look after but she is such a sweet quiet thing and then it's a complete change when I sit on the floor to play with her. Our neighbour has a kitten that will come over to play with our puppy and she like plays with the kitten so rough, I really don't know what to do. I don't want her to be so rough because my niece and nephews like to see her and they are young and I don't want her to hurt them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My puppy was the same way. Her teeth were like ninja weapons. I had lots of toys for her but my arm or leg was still her favorite. As soon as she got nippy, I ended the play. And between that, lots of chew toys and keeping her active with walks, runs, throwing the ball - she got better. We still aren't 100% but it's much better than it was.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just got her some new toys but she doesn't like to play with the toys with me. I will take her out for a while to play, she likes playing with the neighbour's cat and that seems to tire her out but she doesn't want to play fetch with me at all. My boyfriend will get her to play fetch but I don't know what to do with her.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Look at the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here.

Tweaks to Bite Inhibition (Sticky:The Bite Stops Here ... Using Ouch or Yelp!)
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw...don't step on her paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. SHe'll bite again.
2. When she bites the second time, Yelp. When she stops, praise and pet. SHe'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When she bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If she comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. Accept it, (This is important) praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip...
4. When she bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing her in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving her. Then, return and interact. (SHe's still hungry...)
5. When she nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Immediately after you yelp (in this case), you should notice that the second nip is a bit gentler... not enough, but a bit.

Dogs need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice significant Bite Inhibition. SHe may still nip, but it will be softer and she won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication. For example, I used the Yelp method to shape an energetic Tug with very well-defined rules, yelping when my dog broke the rules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts