Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker P is a leash biter. Thankfully I've been buying Lupine Leashes, which are guaranteed even if chewed by the dog. I'm on my second set.

I'd really like some tips on how to redirect this behavior. It usually happens when we are returning home from a walk, and doesn't matter if it's a walk on the road, or a walk in the hills, or I'm asking him to come inside from the yard. It also seems to occur when Tucker can't get his way, which is completely understandable -- he's a bratty teenager!

What I'd like specifically are some tips on a) how to get him to stop this and b) what to ask him to do instead. Now, I ask him to either sit or relax, which he does 90% of the time, but as soon as we start walking again, he starts the behavior again. :eek:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The easiest approach is to not have any slack in the leash so there is nothing to grab. The other methods are teaching the Leave It or Drop It command, roughly removing it from his mouth or, stopping him the second his mouth opens to bite the leash by interrupting him an "UTTT!", a foot stomp (NOT on his foot!), a hand clap....whatever. Praise/pet for walking nicely (without grabbing the leash)....giving the attention for the good stuff....not being forced into giving him attention for the bad stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts