Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been biting at his right hind leg for a while now. He only bites at this one leg and seems to do it mostly when he wakes up in the morning. There are about 4 places on his leg where you can see there is less hair from his biting.

Any suggestions as to what this might be caused by or how to have stop it?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would take him to the vet. Dogs bite themselves in response to virtually any injury, it's just an instinct. So it could be mild skin irritation from allergies, it could be fleas or other bug bites, it could also be an injury such as a pulled muscle or damage to the joint or bone.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A hot spot is where the dog is licking at a particular spot so persistently that they remove the hair and make the skin constantly moist and irritated. This doesn't sound like a hot spot (they really do look and feel warm), and hot spots aren't really a diagnosis anyway. They're a symptom of something else.

Take her to the vet, it's the only way to know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A hot spot is where the dog is licking at a particular spot so persistently that they remove the hair and make the skin constantly moist and irritated. This doesn't sound like a hot spot (they really do look and feel warm), and hot spots aren't really a diagnosis anyway. They're a symptom of something else.

Take her to the vet, it's the only way to know.
Thanks, it's definitely not that then. He has hair thinning in four separate spots on his right hind leg but there is no broken skin. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know what happened.
Went to the vet yesterday. She skin scraped and it was negative for mites. She did warn that the test is 50/50 in diagnosing. She said she saw one small scabby patch so she also did a ringworm test, but we won't have results for that for another 9 days :0( She said she is doubtful that it is ringworm though. We talked about ivermectin treatment either to treat the unseen mites or to be used as a preventative. I'm not sure what to do. I will try to wait for ringworm results first, provided he doesn't get any worse. He doesn't seem very bothered by this at all. I don't see him biting at it much, but I do see that more hair is missing today than yesterday, so he is obviously doing it.

The pet store told me that Vet's Best Flea & Tick spray kills mites. I checked their website and can't confirm. They are closed for the weekend. I would prefer to treat naturally, if possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts