Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some great help here so far hope I can get some more.

My 12 week old puppy wants to go after my ankles when I take her out in the yard. She'll bite onto my pant's leg and sometimes start shaking it back & forth. All I can seem to do is pry her mouth off my pants, pick her up and bring her in. Telling her to stop, no, or whatever doesn't work any more. I have to hold the leash far away from me and I'm sure that gives her a sense she's in charge. Also, it's ruining my pants. If I wear shorts, she bites my ankles or boots.

What can I do to stop this?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Incredible breakthrough!! I tried the squirting water trick and was shocked. There was air in the squirter and didn't get a great stream but she stopped and just looked at me and started acting nice. Tried it a couple more times on different outings and the same thing. Last outing, I just moved my hand toward the bottle hanging on my pocket and she stopped before getting to my pants.

Is this ok to do? It seems too easy. I also read to do this in a book.

I also tried the "turn my back and ignore" and she just started biting the backs of my legs instead of the side or front.

Just a note: anyone trying the squirting water, make sure to use a new spray bottle, not one that previously had cleaning solution or something else in it. I have new ones I use for ironing that you can adjust the spray.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The reason that the squirt bottle works is because it startles him out of the behavior. It briefly distracts him from what he is doing. This is, for most dogs, not just because of the water hitting him but because of the high pitched noise of the air pushing out that is almost inaudible to us but startling for dogs. You are need to make sure that when the dog quits the undesirable behavior that you squirted him for, you then redirect the behavior and reward desirable behavior. Dogs don't seem to learn a lot from simply being distracted or punished for a behavior, but the distraction makes it possible for you to ask for a new behavior, such as a brief attention exercise or a sit. . .whatever.

A lot of folks would say not to use the bottle because you want the behavior (which is to quit biting) to be voluntary for the dog. That way you get to reinforce him choosing to do the desirable behavior. . .this is where the ignoring comes in to play. He will, of course, continue to bit the backs of your ankles for a little bit but if you stand still, don't make eye contact, don't make a noise, and have patience, he will eventually quit, even if for just a second. This is the precise second that you must praise/click and treat. This is probably the better way to train as it produces a stronger understanding of what it is that you will reward.

I would say that it is okay to use the squirt bottle as a quick fix if you really don't have the time/patience to wait for the puppy to stop on his own. . .but it is important that if you do use it to fade it out just like you would a treat as a lure. In fact, can you get his attention away from your pants with a treat?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Wont giving her a treat to get off my pant leg reward her for doing that?
Antecedent - Behavior - Consequence

"Drop" - Dog ceases biting your pants - Treat

Or

You being a tree - Dog ceases biting your pants - Treat

NOT & NEVER

You walking - Dog biting pants - Treat

Behaviors that are reinforced are likely to be repeated in the future. The behavior you want to reinforce is releasing your pant from the dog's mouth, not biting pants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts