Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old pup has recently taken to humping my leg. He does this and when I try to redirect, he gets very aggressive and starts biting me. I know this happens when he is excited and wants to play, but it's getting really out of hand and I'm having a hard time stopping the behavior.

In regards to the biting -- he now pretty much only bites when playing. I try playing fetch (have used training techniques to teach this), but often times, he'd rather jump and bite me than go retrieve anything. And even when we're outside just going potty or for a walk, he will go beast mode and just start jumping and biting (and now humping) me.

I've heard many times the advice to ignore the biting, say no, yelp, or walk away. I have to say - none of that works. Walking away is impossible when his teeth are firmly around my ankle. Ignoring, same thing, he just bites harder. I've tried yelping, no, etc. and again, does not work when he's in this mode.

Does anybody have any different advice, or have experienced this?? I just got done with a little crying session because I"m so frustrated :(

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
1. Teach the dog to Sit on cue. Make it rewarding and as reliable as possible.
2. Watch your dog and look for signals that he plans to hump. Most dogs get a look in their eye, just before they lock on.
3. When you first notice the signals, immediately cue him to Sit! And provide a small treat, if he obeys. Don't ask for a Sit, if he is already humping.
4. After he sits, may may then get up and try to hump. You'll just have to anticipate the pattern. This is a learning process for you.
5. If you get this right, after a few weeks, he may stop trying to hump.

Bite inhibition:
1. If you use the Yelp method (using any word or profanity that you choose), it can take 3 days before the pup begins to bite less.
2. When you walk away, this is a Time-out. It is very important that you leave him by himself in a boring area.
3. It's OK to practice this in a small area with some baby gates that you can step over to escape for a few seconds. You can also put a leash on him to keep him away from you as you escape (as long as he doesn't chew the leash, when you leave). You want him to understand that You leave and that life gets boring, when he bites.
4. After the meaning of the Yelp begins to sink in, it may take another two weeks before you feel consistent progress. Keep it up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts