Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
We have a 9 month old Schnoodle & I have been struggling with him a lot! He was neutered at six months. My first dog (poodle) was an absolute joy...I miss him dearly & he passed at the age of 15 two years ago. :(. My husband & daughter wanted another dog and after a lot of research and time we adopted our new puppy!
I had difficulties with him as a young puppy with nipping/biting but with training & age he stopped doing that. He is quite hyper as well and I walk him daily and provide him with a lot of stimulation. He is very reactive to other dogs on leash with a lot of barking, and lunging to get to the dogs. Off leash he is fine and he plays with other dogs at my friends and sisters house with no issues. So far good with kids but he does growl at my daughter some times.
I have done a lot of work with him and he takes a lot of my time but I am committed to him. I am pretty confident with him and I do most of the training and handling. My husband does little with him even though he talked me into having another dog.
My Schnoodle knows his commands and comes when he is called but not as much with my husband. He follows me around and constantly licks me or wants his belly rubbed. He is closer to me than the rest of the family. I groomed him since he was a young pup and did all the socialization he required. I have always played games with him and took things out of his mouth if it was dangerous or something he was not supposed to chew. He knows how to give as well, esp when we play ball and even if I needed something out of his mouth. He has become more affectionate since neutering however I don't let him rule the house.
Lately, besides the reactivity to other dogs he has bit me three times. I am very upset about this. Last week, when I attempted to take a tea bag out of his mouth after he failed to give it... he bit me..drew blood. He ran to my daughters bed and when I went to pick him up..which I regularly do, he bit me again. He never warned me at all. Today when I went to trim his nails...which I have done many times before he bit me again! I am at my wits ends. My husband pretty much tells me to deal with it and he is not very involved with him and there is not much my kids can do but my daughter loves him to death. He starts basic training again next week with me and I will definitely talk to the trainer about this.
Deep inside I love this dog, & I wont give up but I am tired and hurt and missing my old beloved dog more than ever. Any advice will help...I think I just needed to vent. I'm tired of thinking I have done something wrong or have allowed him to rule me which is not the case at all. He is only nine months old and can't imagine dealing with the reactivity and biting the next ten years or so...also afraid he will hurt my children..nieces..or another dog!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Definitely talk to your trainer about this... and don't leave him anywhere near kids. I'd look into NILIF - he has to do something for you before you do something for him. Make him sit before feeding him/letting him out, don't rub his belly when he asks you to, do it on your own terms etc. That's a really good tip our trainer gave us - everything has to be on your terms, not your dog's.

My dog is very much the same except that she's never bitten anyone, thankfully. She's growled and nipped at the kids though, so we hired a trainer, and it did help a lot (but obviously the kids have to know not to bother her too). I believe it has a lot to do with genetics, and unfortunately 'schnoodle' and other mixes breeders don't typically care about breeding healthy, mentally sound dogs... so the best you can do is be pro-active, make sure that the kids know not to try to take things from her and to give her space, and work with your trainer.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am going to say this. It will be unpopular but it is the truth.

This is the issue with "Doodle Dogs." A top Schnauzer breeder who breeds for stable temperament with health checks (hips, elbows, SARDS and so forth) is NOT going to cross his good dogs with Poodles. A top Poodle breeder with dogs bred for stable temperament and health tests (seizure disorders, CERF, OFA and so forth) is not going to cross his good poodles with another breed.

So the "doodle" dog is usually a backyard bred dog and they are bred for profit and the end temperament of the puppies is of no interest to the breeder. They only want to make money.. You bought a dog that is the result of this back yard breeding. I am NOT blaming you.. it is a scam a lot of people fall for and if the dog is a great dog then it essentially promotes more breeding of these dogs.

The dogs like your dog are more and more the norm.. for the reasons stated above.

It is highly likely the behavior your dog is exhibiting is GENETIC and at 9 months old, without very careful handling, it will likely escalate. Even WITH good handling it may escalate.

Here is what you can try to understand and help the dog with.

The tea bag was likely resource guarding and then the bite when you went to pick him up was being defensive as was the behavior at nail clipping.

To take something from your dog, always ALWAYS have "something to trade." What you have to keep on you is valuable food treats. Bits of cheese, bits of hot dog.. something that is a clear "trade up" for whatever the dog has. You trade that for what the dog has (most dogs would gladly give up a tea bag for a piece of hot dog). Train this for other things (like his toys).

Defense is another issue entirely. It is highly likely you can train him to allow his feet to be handled using a clicker and food and a gradual process. Load the clicker (click then feed about 20 times). Set the dog up where you trim nails. Touch his foot, click and treat.. do that a few times.. and eventually chain it forward until he offers a foot for a reward. If you do not know how to do this, get someone to help. The object is to make feet handling a positive experience. You will likely need to reinforce this from time to time.

The defensive bite picking him up off the bed.. just don't do that. This is not a dog with enough confidence to be scooped up or picked up. When he bit you for the tea bag you probably yelled a bit (most people would). That scared him so he ran to the "safe place" and then you (who he was scared by because you yelled) came in and he is immediately in fight or flight mode (he can fight and bite or run away.. and most will bite and fight if they are in their safe place). A better way to handle this is calm (hard after being bitten) and to use a treat to get him off the bed. Show him the treat and then toss it on the floor.

As to your kids, you need to be very cautious of their interaction with this dog. No kissing the dog. No putting face near the dog. No kids and dog left alone together EVER. How to behave around a dog (no pulling, poking, etc.). Of course, I think this is all common sense and how any parent would handle children and a dog together.

I do wish you the best and hope this works out in the long run for all concerned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts