Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have had our little boy for over a month now. When he came to us; he was very bitey. He would bite furniture, his collar, his bed, bowls, and us. I chocked it up to young puppy behavior, but also made sure to try the "yelping method", and the "ignoring/timeout method consistently to allow for bite inhibition. At four months now I honestly don't see much of a change. He's still too young to meet other dogs (which I've heard helps with play-biting), so I don't know what the next approach should be.

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Always wanted a corgi but felt they maybe too much dog for me :) They have a tough job to fulfill in their nature they can be a bit fisty. Am not sure why 4 months is still too young to meet other dogs unless it's about completing vaccines. Your doing the right thing in your approach. Are you able to give him something to hold onto when he is being bitty? How is the OB skills coming along to redirect him to sit stay so you can reward the ob skills by throwing a toy for them to redirect his focus and chewing. always rewarding on an OB skill peanut butter (natural no sugar added) or only real sugar added peanut butter, really occupies their mouths. Use to stick peanutbutter on the side of the fridge for a pup that constantly wanted to turn back to mouth me for brushing them... FB Corgi group may give a lot of useful tid bits for the breed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. He's doing good with obedience. So far he knows sit, lay, and go in (for crate). We have used skills when he's biting; it's hit or miss most times though. Sometimes he'll stop, other times he won't.

And yea, the reason for no puppy visits is due to vaccines. I think he'd do good with some socialization with other dogs. He came from a decently large litter; so I'm sure he misses other puppies.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
yes with pups it is hit and miss while they learning it will get there. I have the bigger pups I do have toys all over the place,, easy to kick a ball on the ground or quickly pick it up to throw, for a jumpy pup to go run after instead of having them jumping on me. for me the main thing for too much is to change the situation and a throwing a toy for them to break the situation and give you a moment to regroup is a relief. never used one but any of the mental toys that drops food I could see a corgi enjoying. Keep working on attention and focus with you and getting better at ob skills for them to do, add some time and maturity we all survive puppy hood when it all comes together ... lol... also having a slip lead might help if he is biting when your trying to leash them up.. slip lead you don't have to put your hands in the way just open it and loop it over their head until your in a better moment to get the regular lead on.. Hang in there look forward to pictures..

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A corgi is a herder, and herders are bitey. I wouldn't expect a whole ton of improvement in so little time. 4 months is still an infant. Instead of using two methods, pick one and stick to it. The ignoring/timeout method seems to work for most dogs, because sometimes the yelping just gets them more amped up. Playing with dogs may teach him how to bite appropriately, but dogs still play bite...not something they should do to humans, so I wouldn't count on that as a fix-all. It's going to take more time and more patience, but the pup will get there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts