Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 13 week old Border Collie Labrador mix. He was a rescue pup, and he was too young when he came to us (6 and a half weeks). He is a good pup, but there are some issues.
1. Mouth on everything. He is soft on bare skin, but he likes to bite on clothes. He bites my arm that is in the jacket, and growls a lot. He especially likes to grab ankles when I walk. He grabs and growls but lets go if I stop walking. When I start again, he is on my leg again. This happens the most when we are on a meadow behind my house and there is nowhere to distance myself from him. He is not very interested in toys when I try to distract him. He also jumps and tries to get a hold of my jacket, and hand if I'm holding a toy (goes for the hand, not the toy).
2.Also, leash training. He keeps thinking the leash is a tug rope! And he won't concentrate on walking calmly at all! It's either I don't exist or grab the ankle.
What should I do?
Sorry for any mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That is incredibly normal behavior, especially for that breed mix. Labs are notoriously mouthy, and border collies nip and bite and bark at ankles to move livestock, and they will do it to humans until they learn they aren't supposed to. Pups taken from their litters early also struggle with bite inhibition, so it may take a bit longer.

When your pup begins to bite on you, distract him with a toy and praise him for using it. If he persists biting you or your clothing, get up and withdraw attention. Step over a baby gate, close a door, whatever, just remove your attention for a few minutes. Puppy will learn that biting humans = fun ends. If he does it outside on a walk, step on the leash so he can't do much of anything, look at the sky, and become the most boring thing ever. Once he stops being a doofus, move on. This is a very long, long process. Months. Be patient, be consistent, and you will see improvement.

For the leash biting, try a chain leash. Those aren't as fun to bite. Many pups think the leash is a toy, and none know how to walk on a leash nicely! I suggest watching Kikopup or Zac George YouTube videos. They have a few good tutorials on how to teach good loose leash walking, but for a pup that young I wouldn't expect much of anything, yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts