Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have read all the notes and articles on bite inhibition, but I didn't see where anything stated the average length of time it takes to reinforce this?

Our puppy is only 9 weeks and we've only had her 5 days but she still has some sharp nips! We try being like a tree - but it hasn't deterred her. Some of the time I can distract her but not always.

SO, how long before we see improvement?
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
There are too many factors to put a time window on it. Being consistent, being clear, and having more perseverance than the puppy, will bring you the quickest results.

Then, there's the understanding that it gets worse before it gets better. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Curbside is right, it depends on so many things! For instance, if one person in the family doesn't ALWAYS react the same way as everyone else to the biting it can put a kink in the training. And, dogs are individuals, so they are all different.

I always like to say that you aren't just trying to get her to stop biting for that second only. You are trying to TEACH her a concept that she will use for the rest of her life. Teaching doesn't happen overnight.

My first dog took about 4 weeks. Our second dog took almost 2 weeks (I think our older dog helped us teach her!) The foster pup we have now, 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. We try to be consistent, but we are human:)

She seems to be particularly fond of toes, and we don't wear shoes indoors, ouch! She does seem to want to learn and please, just trying to make sure we're doing our part well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my chihuahua at 8 weeks, she's almost 13 weeks now and she still sorta nips, but lightly. Is she biting really hard still? This is my first pup but from what I read, there are two phases, one is to teach her "soft jaw", where she only bites lightly. Once she learns that, the second phase is to stop the biting completely. I'm not sure what time frame this is, but my pup seems to be improving and I've had her for almost 5 weeks now.

If she doesn't stop, you can always give her a "time-out" spot that's NOT her kennel. If my baby girl gets a little ahead of herself and excited and starts nipping at everything I said "OW! NO BITING!" and put her in the bathroom for about a minute. When she comes out she's fine.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
What kind of dog do you have?

We can't say how long it will take to get a soft mouth, but I like to caution that it will take at least 3 days before you have a reliable change. With Lab pups, we've seen that blood letting stops after 3 days, even though the pups will still nip. Adults can take longer than 3 days to begin to 'get it' but they usually don't cause bleeding, plus they'll learn a soft mouth faster.

The dogs that take the longest for us are small terriers - even with a soft mouth, they seem to like to chomp (as play?) every once in a while.

Also, regardless of the dog (even the natural, soft mouth Retrievers), you have to give a tune-up every once in a while... just a little reminder ... all of their lives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update---- We had our first meeting with a personal trainer, who uses clicker training and she is doing sooooo much better. I have been working on "mine" not letting her have a treat until she stops pawing at me and not giving her attention until she waits nicely. She seems to really like and respond to clicker training. She is so much gentler with me and DH. She still gets a little nippy at the children, but doing better. We are practicing with them one at at time with her and she is improving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts