Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little info- we have two adults and 7 kids ranging from 3-almost 14.

I read about bite inhibition and thought it sounded great. I explained it to my husband and the 10+ aged kids, and we all agreed it made sense. But we're coming across some obvious:doh: problems.

1. Dh has calloused hands from work and guitar playing, and also likes to play rougher then I would. His view of "ouch" and everyone else's isn't the same.

2. I have a very low pain threshold due to fibromyalgia. My gentle is almost no pressure. Almost not worth it.

3 (the most obviously dumb on my part). The dog didn't get the memo on which kids are too young to mouth at all verses which kids will work on it so he can somewhat mouth. So, even under supervision, the puppy can get "mouthy" really quick, which no one likes...of course the younger kids have more "interesting" body movements.

What we do is during playtime, one "Ouch" or "no". Try to redirect to different game, chew toy, etc. 2nd nip, "Playtime's over", immediately get up and leave or put him in his puppy pen and we all ignore him for a couple of minutes and if the person wants to have at it again, ok. Rinse and repeat. This is something that everyone seems to be able to do.

My questions are: since we do have young children, should we just do a "no teeth on human skin, ever".? If we do, will be be missing an important developmental piece? Or can he discriminate between who he can mouth and who he can't? I would think he'd be confused regarding who he can and can't mouth. Is our "discipline" for it ok, or are we doing too little/too disconnected from event?

Thanks! I'd be lost without you all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No advice, but I'm going to be watching the responses because I've been wondering a bit of the same. A little different situation - new dog is already 2, and only 2 kids (youngest is 11). I have wondered though about her learning to play differently with different people bc my husband likes to play more roughly with her while my son is a little skittish about playing that way. I am very strict with her about no teeth while playing but my husband is definitely a little more lax. I don't want to nag my husband about how he plays with her, because its a great bonding time for them, but I do worry the dog will learn more assertive play that will turn off my son (or other people that come over). Of course, as you know from your own kids - even young children learn that how they can play with daddy versus mommy can be different, so I'm thinking it can be the same with dogs :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Dogs can absolutely learn to play different ways with different people. However, I do think that this takes time and a puppy, even an older puppy, is going to have a harder time learning this than if you just taught them no teeth on skin ever. It might take longer to get the puppy who mouths gentle during play vs the puppy who just doesn't mouth at all.

Personally, I like wrestling with my dog and have no problem with mouthing if he is gentledand controlled, and stops when I say stop, but it took a while to get there. If I had very young children in the house I might make a different choice.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Watson plays with my husband and I totally differently. Watson plays with me like he's playing with another dog. He mouths my hands, face and neck. He doesn't bite, but he does put his teeth on me. I don't mind as long as he doesn't hurt me. Wrestling actually did wonders to teach him bite inhibition. Because he loves to wrestle, and if he bites me it stops.

But he will not wrestle with my husband. It's actually kinda funny. My husband will try to initiate wrestling with him. But if my husband tries, Watson will just go find a toy to play with him with. He usually brings him a rope. It's cute.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I have a high pain tolerance, and my first thought with any puppy is not to over stimulate them before they have the skills to handle it.. Once you introduce the crazy wild interaction with humans everyone is a free for all that is how a puppy interacts with humans.... older and adult dogs that have learned calm interaction skills and mouth awareness you can have people play rough with them but they still know they don't do that with others in the family... Puppy teach calm, gentle interaction skills first..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts