Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
My fathers dog bit me when I was a child. We were told not to interact with her because she wasn't friendly to children and my father kept her in his greenhouse to guard our property.

I'm not sure if this is considered a "bite", however, once i thried to take a bone away from Ilya and he placed his teeth over my hand and pinned it to the floor for a few seconds. It shocked me and THEN I realized he was in la la land. Soooooo, I think this one is my fault. I've since got him to release bones without any issues.

I tend to think most dog owners have experienced a snap, nip, bite, or growl at some point in order to learn where their dogs' boundaries are.
Chipper did that to me when I was a young'un. I was bored one day and I wanted to see how long it took him to get up and walk away. So, after a bunch of ear pulls and hair pinches, he finally (gently) put his mouth over my hand to get me to stop. It shocked the crap out of me! so we played fetch afterwards. :p

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
My 15 year old dog bit me at the Vet's office. I blame an incompetent Vet for this... and it was the first time a dog ever bit me. I should have let him bite her !

I told her to be careful about the arthritis in his hips, so she lifted his hips to see if they hurt. She wasn't gentle, and he shreiked bloody murder and slashed at her. She deserved it. Anyway I restrained him, but she tried to dominate him... didn't seem to understand that he was in pain, not being dominate. I told her to stay back.... so she came closer ! And, he snarled at her, then bit me out of frustrated.

I told her to get out of her own examination room and send in someone else. An assistant came in and helped me calm down the dog... The assistant had no problem with the dog and was already letting him lick her, before she found out what the dog had done. Later I found out that I should have sued her and brought her up on charges... But she doesn't work for that clininc any more.

On a different instance, my current dog needed blood taken. An inexperienced assistant was digging for a vein while the Vet was out of the room and my dog shrieked... He did not bite, but I guess I didn't learn, because I let the assistant keep trying until the Vet came back to do it correctly.

I guess my lesson - which I still haven't learned - is don't let anyone screw-up the dog, simply because they are in a Vet's office. A good vet will get to know the dog and not take things too far.

- Hank Simon

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only been bitten out of anger by one dog. He was my first dog growing up. He was a terrier mix named Bandit. He was a GREAT dog until he got old. He lived to be 15 years old. In the last year or two of his life, he got really (for lack of a better word) crotchedy. He was very short tempered. Looking back, I am certain this was due to health issues and pain. The last year or so of his life, his vision and hearing were greatly impaired. He would run to greet someone and fall down several times on the way. He was slow and feeble. He finally was put down after he suffered congestive heart failure. Poor thing... I really regret (looking back now) that we didn't euthanize him sooner. It would have been more humane I think. We (selfishly) just didn't want him to go.

Back to the present, now I have my first puppy. She's a whole other story, and loves to lead with her mouth. We're really getting her impulse control in order; it's just a slow, tedious process. She's GREAT... I just honestly await the day she gets out of this mouthy puppy stage!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow, I completely shocked as well at how many people have been bitten and even take the blame for it......

Taylor's never bitten me and I'm trying not to make any judgement about those who have been bit and take responsability for it, I haven't walked in thier shoes. Taylor is a rescue, he's been in the shelter twice before I adopted him at age 9 months, he's 3.5 years old now. While he certainly had some questionable reactions to some things, like the basement, he's never shown any signs of aggression and has certainly never tried to nip, bite, scratch me or anyone else in the time that I've had him.

But, I was bitten by someone else dog when I was 11 years old and I don't take any blame in that what-so-ever, it was a Bad dog. He was a shepherd mix that had no training and was known to break loose in the neighborhood and chase and attack people. (after enough times he was put down). I was sent to this house to get my sister for dinner and I was about half way up the driveway when it happened. The kitchen door opened slightly and my sister and her friend popped thier heads out and I relayed the dinner time message when the dog squirmed out between them and came running towards me. My only reaction was to turn around and he bit me hard on my bottom, then the big brother came out and got the dog. According to the doctor at the hospital it was a good thing I didn't try to run away beause The dog easily could have ripped away part of my tush in the process........ and remember I was 11 years old.

It was such a bad dog, and I know some will say there are only bad owners and most times I'll agree, but this was not a dog that should have been aloud to live in that neighborhood. He'd break free and chase all us kids, and this would be a birthday party on someone else's property, and we'd all have to run for cover in the house. Even the local paperboy stopped deliverying there after getting bit. I think it managed to get 5 kids before they had to have it to put it down.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have never been bitten by one of my own dogs. The only time I've ever been bitten at all was from a blind/deaf old Springer Spaniel when I was a kid. I was behind her and she felt me and was startled so she whirled around and snapped. No big deal--it was my fault and she barely drew blood.

Teddy play growls and snaps his teeth together when we play rough, but has never come close to biting me. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
OMG, I totally misread the title of this post before I entered it. I thought it said "Bit my own dog" :eek: LOL!

Anyway... yes, I've been bit by my own dog. Not counting "accidents" (as in, we're playing tug and woops he got a little TOO close to my hand! In those cases my dogs have ALWAYS let go as soon as they realized what they did)... although I suppose the one time I consider a serious bite was kind of an accident as well.

I had a border collie + australian shepherd that was both dog and human aggressive when I was about 12 - 15. She was EXTREMELY posessive over me as well, and was just not right in the head. I remember when she was just a 10 week old puppy we brought her to the vets for a check up and everything and the vet, whom I've trusted for years since before this, told my dad he should have her put to sleep because there was something wrong with her :confused: Well, when she bit me was when I was probably around 13 and my friend had her dog Mercey over (looking back, I have NO idea why we were doing this, young and stupid I suppose). We were working with the dogs and they were both on leash, but really, considering how my dog was my friend's dog should have never been there in the first place. I was giving my friend's dog praise and my dog was tied up near by (I don't remember what she was tied to exactly) and she lunged and got loose (as this was before I learned if you loop the leash through the handle it won't come undone around an object). She was going for my friend's dog but I got caught in the middle.

Come to think of it, I think it was actually my friend's dog that bit me, if I recall corectly, but it happened so fast I could be wrong. Anyway, I didn't get stitches or anything but my thumb was broken and gashed pretty good. I believe to get them apart (though that wasn't my intent) I screamed the "F" word at the top of my lungs when I was bit and they both scattered quickly. I then grabbed Hazel and tied her back up and then my friends dog and hauled her inside (the whole time my friend was standing there completely flabbergasted), I threw her in a crate (the dog, not my friend) and then ran upstairs, ran my thumb under water and screamed "MOM! THE DOG BIT ME!" to which she just replied "oh" (my mother was really sick a lot when I was younger). So I never went to the hospital over it, but I really probably should have, as I remember it bled a LOT and I couldn't bend my thumb for months afterwards, it still clicks funny.

Moral of the story: you do stupid things and stupid things will happen.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've never been bitten by my own dog, not counting puppy days or play accidents (Belle got my nail once while playing tug 6 or 7 years ago, it didn't draw blood or anything it just kinda stung for a few mins...she had guilty face for the rest of the day)

I've only been bitten by two dogs (not counting puppies or mouthy players), and both times it was pretty much my own fault. One is my cousin's Yorkie. He is old, diabetic, blind and mostly death. I had been warned, but I forgot, he was dead asleep and I petted him, startling him. He's also missing most his teeth so it wasn't that bad. And another time by a Silky Terrier that was attacking Shadow. Normally, I would have kicked the dog, but I knew this dog, and was friends with the owner. She's normally really sweet, she's my pal, but she's DA and had gotten loose. Shadow was on leash, so I was trying to pull him away, while trying to get between them (ya, stupid, stupid idea) and ending up getting bit on the leg. I was wearing jeans, but it still left a bruise.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Wow, I completely shocked as well at how many people have been bitten and even take the blame for it......
Well to be fair I not only haven't been bitten by my own dog, I do not take sole credit for the incidents I mentioned earlier :p. In many cases (not all) I think people aren't necessarily blaming themselves for the bite as they are acknowledging that the whole incident was probably preventable in the first place.

Example: When Webster snapped at me and laid his teeth on me for attempting to move him from the couch. I could have prevented this by turning on the light so I could see him better, as he was a new addition and I didn't know him well, in which case I probably would have realized it was an issue. On the other hand, HE could have growled in warning first or just moved out of the way, lol. But as the owner it's my job to realized MY dogs' limitations and boundaries and either live with them or work to change them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't recall ever having been bitten by one of my own dogs. As has been mentioned here though, alot of it is just paying attention.

A dog who is blind/deaf has to be treated differently. Dogs who are in pain may react differently to the same situation, i.e. a dog that is always good at the vet may snap. A dog who is asleep is only doing the same thing I would do if you scared/startled me.

I have a dog right now that I know would bite me in an instant given the right circumstance. She gets sowed up with arthritis periodically, and there is no way I would cause her any grief. She has not ever snapped at me, but I see the look on her face.

I understand it too. I told an ER doctor one time that if he touched my wrist I would break his nose. It was broken, and x-rays are for determining what is broken.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts