Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Growing up we had a beyond poorly bred JRT (what can I say, we didn't know then what we know now) that was an evil biter. She didn't really draw blood and was always good about warning so we kept her. She never bit without letting you know that it was on her mind.

With the four dogs my parents have now, for three of them (including the current JRT) I can't imagine any biting beyond what happened at the puppy stage. Heck, I haven't even heard them utter more than a play growl towards a person. Between themselves, well, 4 bitches (all spayed) living together means once in awhile a small scuffle breaks out. Even with those no one has ever drawn blood or been difficult to break apart.

The fourth dog of my parent's is a different story. She was a young puppy rescue but doesn't seem to have come with the best genes. Plus she had very severe HD (has been operated on now) and seems to have spent the first 6 months in some pain while we figured out the best course to take. She's been raised and socialized just like the other three and is great with people she knows but has definite fear aggression. Luckily her first instinct is to just run away and unless cornered will not even get close, nevermind bite.

Taking her to the vet is another story. I'm the only one there that can handle her safely because she knows and trusts me. If I'm not working that day then she doesn't go in. I still remember how excited the vet was the one time she was actually able to get the dog out of her kennel. I was with a dog waking up from surgery so unable to do it myself and my dog was next so needed to get her pre-meds. The big problem is she's a cute looking hound-mix so people want to pet her. Even at work I need to warn new people that as cute as she looks not to get close because in a kennel or on a leash she has nowhere to run. She gets a big "aggressive" sign on her kennel door now.

Luckily (knock wood) with proper maintenance she has never bitten anyone but me. Even the bite she gave me was completely accidental and in no way her fault. She was waking up from surgery and I went to remove her endotracheal tube. Being stupid I just stuck my hand in her mouth, something I would never do with any other dog, and she bit down as she was waking up. Totally dumb move on my part, she wasn't even awake enough to know what was going on and had just had a painful surgery (FHO). No blood drawn though, just an ouchy bruise and a lesson in treating all dogs, even my own, very carefully.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I was bitten by my Boston during fight between him and my pug.......I had moved them apart and was holding the pug back w/my left arm and had the by the scruff in my right arm......the Boston slipped out of my hand and went after the pug but my arm was still in the middle and I got a good chomp....just barely broke the skin but a nice big bruise:)

As soon as I yelled "ouch"...he looked at my like "oh crap" and ran into his crate.....I have a picture:)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow! I gotta say, I am shocked. I also posted this question on another dog forum and the response was HUGE! I cannot believe how many dogs have bit their owners. I have to say that I think there are times when it is sort of excusable but it floors me how often people say "He/she was not in the mood for it" referring to the dog not wanting to something asked of it. I think it is likely that most if not all of the bites of owners by their own dogs go unreported to the AC or the CDC which obviously makes dog bite statistics extremely flawed. How many people would automatically report a dog bite if your dog bit someone else? Neighbor, guest to your home, etc...

I am curious as to what the actual statistics are of bites to humans by dogs. I know there is really no way to know but I am guessing it is like 50 times higher then what is reported. Kind of mind boggling if you think about it.
I guess I have been very very lucky with my dogs. I have been bit by dogs in the past but never by my own dogs. That just sort of blows my mind. Thank God too because I am sure it would be a nasty bite if it ever did happen.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've never been bitten except those puppy days.

Actually I've never been bitten by any animal other than a cat. I still have a mark and a bruise from feeding Smokey on her last days. She got me right on my index finger. I have another cat who starts licking you and then all of a sudden she'll just bite the heck out of you. BF has a nasty scar from his sister's cat biting him while he was trying to break up a cat fight (well, cat and kitten fight).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Carlos, my cute little cojack (mutt, google it), NEVER bit me. He's so incredibly cuddly and sweet that he just doesn't know how to bite. I got a few scratches here and there because his paws, compared to his total height and weight, are huge and he likes to scratch like a cat. Sometimes I do some kiss-noises, and I think he wanted to kiss me, but hit my nose xD

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have never been bit by Blackie and Rose. Nipped at maybe once by both dogs in their entire lives, but never bit. They are very tolorant dogs and if they do start to reach their threshold level, they give off many obvious warning signs.

Now, as for Chloe...she has never drawn blood. In fact, a lot of her "bites" don't even make contact, they just breeze your skin. I've gotten worse ouchies from her grabbing for her toy and getting my hand than I ever have because of her being aggressive. That being said, in the right circumstance Chloe definitally wouldn't hesitiate to cause some damage. She did try to do some damage to me twice, but I'm bigger and stronger than she is so it didn't work.

What were the circumstances leading up to it?
As a pup (and now, too, just not as bad) she had problems. She was a resource guarder and did not tolorate anything she did not want to tolorate - "man handling" and grooming, mostly. She had very low tolorence and if she got annoyed, she would snap. If she got very defensive over a resource she would attack - thus the two times she tried to attack me.

How hold was the dog? Did the dog have any health issues?
I think we really started noticing everything when she hit about three/four months, but that was about the time she started having resources to guard and when I started trying to handle/brush her. The first time she tried to attack me she was under six months, for sure. She didn't (and doesn't) have any health issues so to speak, but her background/genetics aren't good. She had no socialization until I brought her home around nine weeks old, little human interaction, and her dam died when the litter was four weeks. Her sire was a good boy (very heard headed, though), but I never met the dam. For all I know she was a nutjob. Being a back yard bred Aussie, it wouldn't suprise me.

How long did you own the dog before this happened?
She came broken. LOL :)

How did you handle it when it did happen?
When she went after me because I tried to move her away from a bone by tugging on the leash she was attached to, I pinned her. Not to "assert dominance" or whatever, but to control her head. I scruffed her and held her down so her teeth couldn't connect with me. Once she calmed down I let her up and walked her away from the bone without any problems. The second time she went after me it scared the crap out of me (wasn't expecting it at all) and I grabbed her by the nape of the neck and tossed her about six feet across the room. That shocked us both, I think.

All other snapping incidents with her were ignored, as I normally wasn't in the room when they happened. If I was in the room and she snapped at someone, I'd put her in a down/stay for a few minutes. I don't think that did anything, but it kept me from throttling her.

I also started to work with her more to try to overcome her issues. She's gotten so much better now. Still have some slight resource guarding issues, but it is what I would deem "normal" (aka,over large, juicy bones - and those she will trade for a treat) and she doesn't fly off the handle anymore. (For instance, we used to not even be in the same proximity with her if she had a bone as she would attack. Now she can be chewing on one and you can pet her and she is cool with it.) And I can now groom her/restrain her without any fuss.

What was the dogs general temperament under normal circumstances?
Very bitchy and not tolorant at all. Friendly, playful, and submissive, but snarky. She's a dog I would trust around a competant adult - not with young kids or stupid people. She does give of warnings before a snap/bite, but they are subtle. Hard stars, hard mouth, and tensing. Maybe a growl if you are lucky. If you are an idiot and don't know what to look for, she would be one of those dogs that snaps "out of the blue".

And needless to say, Chloe is still here. I seriously considered rehoming her, but decided against it and I'm glad I did.

I have been attacked by a JRT before, as well Dameon, my ferret. He latched on to my finger at least three different times and drew some major blood when he was a kit. He was food aggressive, but after he realized I provided the food and he didn't have to fight for it he got much better. He will still try to attack you if you make high pitched noises, whistle, or if there is something in the vincity that is making high pitched noises. lol

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I was working with a neighbor's Bull Mastiff back when I was young enough to know everything. The dog was a perfectly fine intact male, but he was a bit of a bully. His owner was afraid of him, and the dog claimed ownership of the lady of the house and the kids. The brute liked me so the owner asked me to fix his attitude. The first time negotiations came to an impasse, he attempted to play the "kill you" card. My Dog Fu was very strong so we came to a mutual understanding with neither of us ending up the worse for wear. The dog came through with flying colors but the owner never learned to man up.

Being older and wiser, I'd certainly handle the situation differently today.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've never been bitten, happily. Webster did close his teeth on me once and snapped at me on several occasions shortly after we got him, and before we figured out what all of his issues were (various resource guarding and some low-level fear aggression), but he withheld biting.

Happily all those triggers have been addressed to where he is comfortable in those situations, and we managed the environment to prevent incidences during the process of training/desensitization.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've got bitten by Akira once when I stupidly tried to grab him by the neck when he was fighting with another dog. He thought I was the other dog and bit me pretty hard, I was bleeding form both sides of my hand, it was dripping while I was walking home. It took a while to heal and I have scar tissue in the old wounds. It was so stupid of me to put my hand between two fighting dogs but I'm glad none got hurt.

I've got bitten a couple of times by different dogs, I do not make a big fuss about it. Just like a human throwing a punch sometimes dogs express their anger in a violent way, the only thing important is to know what caused it, fix it and let it never happen again.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
No fair counting puppy nips. That is a given when getting a puppy. :d
I should be able to count that as they were nasty nips...;)

But seriously though, when Uallis tried to nip me, I never once thought about rehoming him...it never even entered my head. After all, it was nothing serious. If Uallis wanted to hurt me...well...he could do a great deal of damage with very little effort on his part.

As I've never really been bitten by my dogs I can only speculate what I'd do if one of them DID really bite me. I can't imagine that I'd get rid of them. I've had these dogs for over 2 years. I have a lot of time, effort and love involved with them. I wouldn't just give up on them. I'd try to fix the issue and at the very least try to manage it, just like I manage Eddie's..."unfriendliness"...toward some strangers...:)

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Teddie has bitten me pretty badly before. When I brought him home he had several issues including people touching his feet. He was compltely matted when he was found and by the time I got him, his feet were embedded with burs. To this day cutting his nails or getting something out of his paw is very difficult, but no where near like it was before. I would never get rid of him because of biting me.

My aunt had a dog named Reba; I helped her in the process of adoping her. We went to the SPCA after it'd been about 2 years after her dog passed away. She was lonley and wanted to adopt an adult dog. We took Reba into a room and I sat down on the floor and she smothered me with kisses. We learned the little bit known about her past; she was found a stray and was possibly abused (If you raised your hand she would lower her head as if she'd been hit before). We spent quite a bit of time with her before she made the choice this was the perfect companion for her. I totally agreed and home she went. She went through basic training and was fantastic. She got along great with my past dog (Devante) and all was good.

A year later she started showing aggression signs. She would go after other dogs and we were banned from the dog park after she attacked several dogs. They actually yelled at us to get out of the dog park. Her biggest problem was resource gaurding. We went to several trainers and also had her checked out by her vet.

After talking to a few trainers we got the name of a trainer that had worked with dogs like Reba. She spent a month at a "doggy bootcamp" and the trainer went over all of the instructions very thoroughly. Reba came home and while she did still have some guarding issues we worked with her day in and day out.

Almost a year later her aggression got out of countrol and it all came down to one event. When ever she would "attack" my aunt was the only one that she would literally listen to. This time she didn't and she attacked and pinned down my mother in the laundry room. It was horrible and there isn't another word to describe it.

We talked to the "doggy bootcamp" trainer, took her back to the vet, took her to other vets for opinions and she was too unpredictable. We ended up having to humanely euthanize her.

We worked so hard with her and we don't blame her at all for what she did. We have no clue what happened to her in her past, but the vets had a good feeling she possibly had a brain injury (possibly from being hit) that was becoming a much larger problem.

When it came to the decision of having her humanely euthanized it was what was best for her. She was NOT a happy dog anymore and she wasn't living a happy life. She couldn't go for walks, go to the park, be around people other than my aunt (at times she'd even show aggressions towards her), her whole life was driven by guarding one thing after the next. If you took away her food bowl, she'd guard her bed, if you took away her bed, she'd guard the door, etc, etc, etc.

But for those two years she lived with my aunt she was loved unconditionally.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Teddie that is such a sad story. It is good Reba found love for the two years your aunt had her. There are times where putting a dog to sleep is the only humane answer and that sounds like one of those times.

Teddie :eek: NO! Not Teddie. :eek: He is my reason for wanting a Shih Tzu some day. lol
Can't blame him for being under socialized though. Some rescues need a little "catch up" time in their development. Glad he is doing better.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Teddie that is such a sad story. It is good Reba found love for the two years your aunt had her. There are times where putting a dog to sleep is the only humane answer and that sounds like one of those times.

Teddie :eek: NO! Not Teddie. :eek: He is my reason for wanting a Shih Tzu some day. lol
Can't blame him for being under socialized though. Some rescues need a little "catch up" time in their development. Glad he is doing better.
We held onto her as long as we could and did as much as possible. I hate that it came down to that, but we still love her reguardless.

Lol Yep Teddie, :eek: but that was right after I got him. I don't hold it against him because he was going through the same things every other rescue dog I've worked with has gone through.

Now that it's been a while he's fine and I cut his nails without much of a problem. He may not like it, but he'll tolerate it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good Boy Teddie! and Good job Teddie! :D:D:D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Kechara bit meonce on accident. I was playing tug with her and she went to grab the tug toy and my thumb was in the wrong spot and it went in her mouth. she broke the skin and I had blood but I only needed a band-aid

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was bit by my Scottish Terrier a month before I got married. Dummy me. He was laying on my bed asleep and I went to kiss him. Well he bit me. My mom took me to the doctor the next day to see if I would have a scar for my wedding. Fortunately I did not. This dog had a temper. I guess it was the nature of scotties from what I have been told. He did bite people on times. Once my uncle who said "all dogs love me or something like that", once when he jumped out of the car at a motel, my husband grabbed him and he didn't want to be grabbed. Honestly I was kind of glad when he did die because by then I had a young child and was always kind of scared on what the dog or the kid would do.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got bitten by my sister's Min Pin puppy once when I was putting on her sweater. But as that was a puppy, it doesn't count much. XD She never bit me again, though.

I caused a dog to bite a co-worker, though...And I feel awful about it. Thankfully, it wasn't a serious bite...

We were in the clinic, taking blood from a nervous GSD. I was taking blood from the jugular vein (in the neck), and my co-worker was restraining, stradling the dog and pulling his head up, as we always did with the large dogs. He kept using a paw to push me away, so I tried to set my knee gently on the paw he kept using, and this caused him to panic and fling hiw head, biting my co-worker. He barely drew blood, used only enough pressure to get her to let go, but I still felt awful, for both the dog and my co-worker. She thought he was just being naughty and misbehaved; I later explained that it was NOT his fault, it was mine for "stepping on his toes".

Needless to say, that was a stupid mistake that I never tried again, nor will I try it ever again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My old dachshund bit me several times when she was old and blind and I bothered her. I totally blame myself, like I said she was old and blind and she was sleeping in her crate. I should not have messed with her.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My fathers dog bit me when I was a child. We were told not to interact with her because she wasn't friendly to children and my father kept her in his greenhouse to guard our property.

I'm not sure if this is considered a "bite", however, once i thried to take a bone away from Ilya and he placed his teeth over my hand and pinned it to the floor for a few seconds. It shocked me and THEN I realized he was in la la land. Soooooo, I think this one is my fault. I've since got him to release bones without any issues.

I tend to think most dog owners have experienced a snap, nip, bite, or growl at some point in order to learn where their dogs' boundaries are.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts