Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel like I should preface this story with a couple things. When I found Mouse, he looked like a little pittie, but he turned out to be a boxer/german shep which is a lot more energy and drive then I had really intended on signing up for. However, I took this in stride got involved in nose work and hiking which he loves and I'm probably a lot healthier with it.

We do walks twice a day, but I still like him to be able to stretch his legs and do actual sprints. Our backyard is big for the metro, but it's not sprint worthy for him. Since I work during the week we can't get out to a secluded spot until the weekends.

So that's where dog parks come in. Now don't get me wrong we have some l lovely dog parks that are several acres and I go in off hours so there are only a handful of dogs. In the year I've been going, I've yet to have a bad time. Sure, I've had times where a dog wasn'ts good fit playmate wise, but other owners generally understand or at least oblige me by keeping their dog with them when I call my pups away and we go explore a different part of the park.

Last night I got bit. Now I don't know anything about levels, but it's not crazy deep, but it took a while for it to stop bleeding and it's all bruised this morning.

So we were hanging out under a tree by ourselves. Throwing a tennis ball for mouse. Otter was chewing on a stick. What I would guess is a young, but full grown husky come running up from behind us, pins otter, and places her jaw around his throat. I shout hey and clap my hands as that usually breaks up any dogs who are getting a little too rough.

Mouse, coming back with his ball, barks at the husky. She growls at him. He knocks her off of otter. Otter retreats to my brother. My brother starts walking away with otter. I tell mouse to heel. He is hesitant, but trots over to my side. The husky is about 6 feet away because I stepped back when I called mouse.

We turn to walk away (the husky's owner still no where in sight) and the fricking husky runs up and bites the back of my thigh! Mouse pins her. This time I just grab his collar and back away with him because I shouldn't have turned my back in the first place.

The guy had the nerve to tell me that it must've been my "mutt" that bit me and now I'm trying blame is "pure husky"! At least his fricking purebred is up to date on her shots.

Sorry this is so long. Just really upset I guess.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wow, that's terrible! I'm glad it's not a more serious bite. Have you reported this to your city or animal control? I definitely would. And take photos of the bite as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's terrible! I'm glad it's not a more serious bite. Have you reported this to your city or animal control? I definitely would. And take photos of the bite as well.
Yeah, I didn't know it at the time, but another owner could see what was going on from where he was and called the cops when he saw the bite/had his wife hold their dog while he came over to help. The husky owner left immediately, so not much could be done besides doing a report.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That is a serious bite (level 3 or 4) that would place the animal under quarantine. The owner and the dog could be in serious trouble if you knew who they were, and it is unacceptable that the owner just left without offering to help you or leaving contact information. I am glad you are okay and hopefully someone finds this owner/dog and helps them be more responsible. The worry is that other people might be injured. That dog should NOT be in the dog park or in public spaces without wearing a muzzle. If the story is exactly how you describe it: You did not put a finger on the husky, you were retreating with your dogs, and the dog bites and punctures/bruises you... That is not normal even if the dog was wary of people or fearful.

Hopefully you don't see that owner again. If I were in your shoes I'd be pressing charges if possible, especially with the attitude the owner gave you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I didn't really understand the severity until sleeping on it. I was just happy to walk away with both dogs unharmed and not needing stitches.

I've since texted some acquaintances that I've met at that park. One person, had interacted with the husky owner before. Apparently, it's his first dog. She's only 1 and to my acquaintance always seemed a bit "off". Last time he saw him, about a month ago, the dude had started using a shock collar and the dog seemed worse ?

Anyways, that acquaintance has seen husky owner walking the dog in his neighborhood before, so he's going to talk to animal control as well.

Ugh I hope he's found. Is it possible for them to take the dog from him?

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
In my community, what would happen is this. (Don't ask me how I know.) If the dog is current on rabies vaccine, it would be placed on house arrest - no leaving the yard and only in the yard while leashed and accompanied by owner. There would be three required vet visits to confirm the dogs health over a period of three weeks and the the quarantine would be lifted. The owner would likely pay a fine.

If the owner is unable to provide proof of rabies vaccine, the dog would be quarantined by the county at the owner's expense.

A repeat offender could face more serious consequences and, in some communities, the first offense might be dealt with much more harshly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ugh. Sorry that happened to you, hope everything heals up properly. And hope you find the guy. Also want to say that mouse sounds like a real good dog for sticking up for his family the way he did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ugh, wish some people would be more responsible. My cousin&I got bit by a rottweiler at a dog park. My cousin got the worse of the bite, I was barely punctured and bruised. We asked for the owner's number and he REFUSED to give it to us. We didn't want to cause a scene especially since the owner was a really old guy so we left immediately. However, my cousin's arm was dripping in blood so went back and asked for his number again but he kept refusing.. I stood my ground and he finally gave it up. We only wanted his number so that we could get verification later that his dog was up to date with all her shots. I really didn't want to call authorities because I didn't know what they would do to the dog. I would hate to have a dog be separated from its owner and esp since rottweilers tend to have the same reputation as pitbulls I didn't want discrimination to happen because of its breed. We went to the ER to get her cleaned up and when we tried to contact the guy, he freaking gave us a false number! Lesson learned: get authorities involved. It was a terrifying few months not knowing if something worse was going to happen to my cousin after the bite but luckily she's okay.

I'm glad your bite wasn't too bad and what I got out of your rant was that your dog is awesome, protecting his family like that!!! You should have your acquaintances keep an eye out for him at the park. If he's a regular, he'll probably show up to the park again. If he does, call authorities or animal control.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Mouse is amazing. I've sat here trying to type something that describe his presence for you guys, but there aren't really words.

Last night, when we went to settle down in bed he hopped up and nestled in my legs which he hasn't done since summer started. I'm sure I was just radiating anxiety.

He's also such a good older brother for Otter. And to think Mousey was just a little, sickly runt that someone abandoned on the side of the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I think it is severe... Not necessarily in the level of the bite relative to your well being but in terms of behavior. I am glad that you don't need stitches and I hope you continue to heal nicely. But it is very STRANGE and rare for a dog to choose to bite and puncture - off territory - and while the person is retreating. If it had been a little nip, or the dog tore your pants but did not puncture, I would still say the dog shouldn't be in the dog park but that would be well within the range of normal for a reactive or fearful or overly aroused dog. It could be the dog's genetics, socialization history, or training (the shock collar could have contributed, or not, impossible to say). But bottom line is... there is certainly something 'off' with this dog. The dog and owner need more guidance so that the dog does not become a threat to people in the future. And I would absolutely stand by muzzle training for a dog that has practiced this behavior.

Anyways, I hope the best for you and your community! (and for that husky too)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I will also say to people who are hesitant to report a bite this severe: if it happened to you, it will probably happen to someone else if the owner doesn't change what they're doing. And the next bite might be worse, or - god forbid - to a small child or someone ill, frail, or otherwise especially vulnerable. Even if all you can give the police is a description of the dog and owner, it means there's a paper record and they know there's an issue!

If you go back to this dog park, have your phone at the ready to get photo or video should you see this owner again (and, of course, get the heck out of Dodge before you risk a repeat performance). Janse, hope you continue to recover well, and give Mouse and Otter some snuggles for being such awesome dogs in a really stressful situation!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I do not know where you are located (country or state). I do know that I would be hunting high and low for that dog and owner to get proof positive of rabies vaccination. In the US rabies in dogs is rare (I think the last two cases I heard about in YEARS were in dogs "rescued" from Africa). That said, rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms appear. Don't fool with this. FIND THE DOG AND OWNER AND GET PROOF OF RABIES VACCINATION. Written proof. Not just a collar tag. Go to a Doctor. Now. That is the other part of this (whether you find the dog and owner or not).

As noted above, a dog that bites a person in retreat that is only walking away has "issues."

Years and years ago my Brother was bitten by a dog in much the same manner (a German Shepherd) walking past a house and on the opposite side of the road. Dog nailed him AFTER he was past the property without barking or provocation. My Brother was 8 years old. That dog had a history and ended up being PTS after a quarantine (and he had his shots).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am in the US, but I also did go to the doctor right away. So I am in process of doing a bunch of shots over the next couple of weeks in case I was exposed to rabies. Trust me I'm adequately scared about I could die, but there isn't a lot I can do.

The issue with finding the dude his description is could fit most men in this city and Huskies are a really popular choice here.

Also I live in big city, so people drive from all over the city to get to dog parks and while the one person has a vague area he's seen the dog being walked that isn't super helpful as it's a big neighborhood.

There are also plenty of dog parks here, so he can easily just go to a different one. There are 5 that I regularly go to within 20 minutes of my house and many many more if he was willing to settle for something on the smaller side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts