Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
It is bad for her, and it's not really a matter of getting her to stop as much as it is preventing her from having access. It seems that once a pup gets a taste for delicious cat crunchies, there's no stopping them from munching. Can you put up a gate with a cat door? As a lab, she should be big enough that she can't squeeze through a cat door.

At our house, the dogs aren't any bigger than the cats (Odo is smaller than my biggest cat by far), and I have an 8 year old cat that can't exact jump a gate every time she has to go potty. In the end we put up a gate between the downstairs and the upstairs, keeping the dogs down and the cats up. When we're upstairs we put up a temporary gate blocking the doorway from the livingroom to the hall and the dogs are in the living room. The pups will never be free to roam the whole house when we're not home, though they may gain roaming privileges downstairs with the gate blocking them from upstairs where the cat boxes and food dishes are (they also eat the cat food and the cats are free fed).

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I agree, the dog needs to be blocked from the litter box.

I have heard of someone (maybe someone on this forum?) who has their cat's litter box in a large dog crate that has the door blocked some way that only the cat can fit it. That won't work if you dogs are small like Ayanla's but since your dog is a lab she should be big enough not to fit.

I have my litter box in a place where my dogs can easily get but I have a large cat bed sort of blocking the way. The cats (and dogs) can go around to get to the litter, but since the bed is blocking most of the hallway the dogs don't bother, most of the time! My big cat cannot jump really well over a gate so the tall cat bed is perfect, he can jump on it or go around it. If I see the dogs trying to get around the bed it usually takes long enough that I have time to call them away from it.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
We had the same problem here, so we made our own dog proof litter box. Just buy a large rubbermaid bin and cut the first 1/4 or so of the lid off, enough so the cat can jump in. The cat can get in that way, but the dog can't, problem solved. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have one that LOVES kitty box crunchies, not sure about our puppy yet but Maggie will eat them any chance she gets. I switched to yesterdays news brand litter so if she does happen to eat some she is not eating clay. I have to have the litter box downstairs by the door with a gate at the top. This is the only option as Maggie wont jump a gate going downstairs but being a jack a baby gate is nothing for her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about the tablets they sell at the store to get dogs to stop eating their own poo?
Can you mix in some of that into the cat food, maybe that will teach the dog that 'kitty poo just tastes awful!'
That might make my cat sick X.x I dont want to do that! Uhh but let me see.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I have a baby gate in the door of the room the cat box is in. The cat jumps over, the dogs don't. They could but they don't. I don't know that a lab puppy could jump over a baby gate, and it would be a good learning tool to teach him to stay out.

"Kitty Truffles" have been a problem for many dog/cat owners on DF. It's interesting to see the ways others have solved it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That might make my cat sick X.x I dont want to do that! Uhh but let me see.
you don't want to buy the "dog" one- you would want to check and see what's available for cats! you would buy the cat version and mix it into their food

but best bet is to call your vet and ask their suggestion before feeding anything to the kitty

·
Registered
746 Posts
We had the same problem here, so we made our own dog proof litter box. Just buy a large rubbermaid bin and cut the first 1/4 or so of the lid off, enough so the cat can jump in. The cat can get in that way, but the dog can't, problem solved. :)
Can you elaborate on this one? I can't visualize anything that would allow the cats in easily without allowing the dog in (even if it's just the snout of a bigger dog). I'm probably visualizing your solution all wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Can you elaborate on this one? I can't visualize anything that would allow the cats in easily without allowing the dog in (even if it's just the snout of a bigger dog). I'm probably visualizing your solution all wrong.
You simply cut just enough of the lid off that the cat can jump in but the dog can't. There are commercial versions of it on the market, we chose to make our own for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Preventing access is the key here. I have Storm's litter box upstairs (we don't really use it) and I have the hallway blocked off with a pet gate like this one....

It has screw adjustment's that hold it with pressure in the door way. I've adjusted it so that one side has a very small gap and the other side has a much larger opening. Large enough to let the cat through but not large enough to let the dog through since she much wider than the cat. It does have the cat door but since my dog is the size of my cat I can't do that :rolleyes:

Edit to say that our hall way is much larger than that door way so it would be best to measure first. Also just an idea for those who use rubber made boxes a lot of people on the cat forum I'm on don't really recommend them because they are very hard on joints. The cat is always jumping off a changing surface (think running on sand) it's very hard for the cat to properly judge there take off because the footing moves out from under them when the jump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts