Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I doubt he'll outgrow it. I'd just wait patiently until his eyes go back into his head and ask for attention then have a huge party. I prefer not to beg for my dog's attention. Then be prepared for next time as outlined below.

My dogs are currently hunting after dark. When I can get to the spot they are at I take a bunch of treats out there. Treat in hand at dog's nose, other hand in collar I lead them away feeding the treat when eyes are off the area of interest. Then I tell them to 'go get the bug' and release them back. After a few reps they are able to turn when called and come to me in the face of whatever it is that's so interesting. My first dog was a gopher hunting maniac and was able to drop a opossum in mouth and not chase deer doing this. I thought it impossible as she didn't seem to know anything existed other than that hole she was excavating but it worked and much faster than I thought possible.

Start now. This is a powerful tool for training and will apply to all sorts of issues you come up against.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.