Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have three dogs I would love to be able to go biking with them during the spring, summer and fall. Their regular speed is my jogging. Although, I'd love to keep up with them and run for 45 mins.. I can't.. yet.

Does anyone do this?

I've seen a few different designs. I like the ones that have an attachment on the side so there is no way the dog can get close to the tires, nor could they go in the opposite direction.

I also saw a picture of a neat one (although, couldn't find any info on it) The dogs were behind the bike and there was space for two dogs (and then a small childs carrier behind that). Where can I purchase this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm curious too in hearing from those who bike too.

I'm also wondering, if it really is such a good idea to attach the dog to the bike, what happens if the dog sees a rabbit or something and goes nuts? With a leash one could just let go of the leash.

I understand that using a leash is dangerous too because the dog can cross in front of the bike... So insight on the subject would be great!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Well with a design like the Springer attachment, it's designed to attach low to the bike and has a spring to help one keep their balance if the dog pulls to the side suddenly. In general though, if your dog doesn't have a solid "leave it" and proper leash manners I wouldn't try biking though.

Also, no matter how you end up doing it, use a harness. Even if you don't want your dog pulling, when you are traveling at high speeds it's quite dangerous for your dog to be connected by the neck.

I haven't seen the version with the dog behind the bike, though.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I posted about this a while back and actually tried it out twice. At a very slow speed, my Spaniel ran beside me for about half a block. Then he decided he was sick of it and wasn't going to move. He sat down mid stride and I was literally dragging his butt.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The Springer attachment is the safest way to bike with your dogs, and I'd highly recommend it! I think there is another type of attachment out there called the WalkyDog, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

I prefer to use a scooter with my dogs - because you're standing on it, instead of sitting like a bike, it's very easy to just hop off if necessary. I think it's quite a bit safer. With a scooter, you have the choice of either a side attachment (outrigger), or hooking the dogs up out-front, sled dog style. :D I bet you could actually hook up a Springer or WalkyDog to it, too, if you used the front stem as the attachment point.

Here's the outrigger I use with my dogs. It wasn't cheap, but I was lucky to find it used, and it's worth every penny IMO. It's the only way I can wear out my maniac high-energy dogs!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I do his with Nubs, He LOVES to run. I just use a leash though. I have a running leash that has elastic in it to keep the dog from pulling you as you run. Nubs does great with it, and tires him out nicely..

I can't wait for spring...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I use a walkydog with Allie because she isn't good at watching where the bike is. Lloyd, I just hold his leash and he runs next to the bike. When I first start with them I walked the bike rather than riding it and fed them treats.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
... Here's the outrigger I use with my dogs. It wasn't cheap, but I was lucky to find it used, and it's worth every penny IMO. It's the only way I can wear out my maniac high-energy dogs!

Ohhhh nekomi I love those things and want one sooooo bad! They are expensive though. Lucky you to have found a used one.
I'm envious! :D <--- see green w/envy. lol

When riding a bike I just use a 4' leash on my guys. However, if I ever am able to fit it in my budget (maybe in a zillion years :p) I want one of those scooters.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, now that you mention it.. my grandpa has one of those scooters but only it has a hook up for two dogs. He had his made by someone locally and said it was a lot cheaper than purchasing one from a store. I should see what I can come up with!! THANKS :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used both the WalkyDog and Springer and personally I think that the WalkyDog is superior. This is not to say the Springer is bad, these are just my thoughts below:

Springer Pros:

* Good shock absorbtion while riding
* Somewhat easy to switch between multiple bikes

Springer Cons:

* Pricey
* Takes quite a bit of time to install
* Size and shape of attachment limits ability to fit on some bikes
* Dog tends to be able to run in towards the front tire (I ran over my dog's foot several times :(
* Comes in several pieces and cannot be easily detached and used as a normal leash
* Cord that comes with product is short and you have to tie your own knots to connect to the unit

WalkyDog Pros:

* Great price
* Good shock absorbtion from internal spring system
* Installs on bike in less than 5 minutes
* Quick lock and release system
* Easily switches between bikes with additional jaw clamp purchase
* Does a good job of keeping dog to the side of the bike and away from the front tire
* Low rider attachment (sold separately) gives the option of attaching to the rear wheel as well
* Can easily be detached and used as a normal leash

WalkyDog Cons:

* Some people like to make a custom size line and it would be nice if extra cord was included in the box for this
* Internal cord may begin to fray after a long time when used with very powerful dogs, however the cord is very easily replaced by going to any hardware store if this is ever even necessary -
* Can't really think of anymore - I love this product and use it everyday with my dog (he loves it too)

You can find more information about the WalkyDog at www.TheDogOutdoors.com - there is a lot of information as well as videos of the product in use

You can find out more information about the Springer here www.springerusa.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts