Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just joined the forum.

I bike with my dog Rufus, a GSD/Rottie mix. I now attach him to the bike near the rear wheel on the right side. I use a rope looped around the frame and attached to a flat collar, I also have a leash from another collar to the handle bars but this is longer and if he pulls he is pulling against the bike frame. The leash is so I can control him with out lifting out of the seat. This set up works well.

Rufus has a strong prey drive and wants to chase whatever he sees cat, dog, blowing leaf, any movement. He can pull me up a hill for a couple of hundred yards full out. I would like to redirect that energy to pulling on command but I don't want to have him pulling on his neck/throat. I'm going to make a harness and there are some drawings on the web at www.uberpest.com. I was going to make the carting harness which has a broad band across the chest against which the dog pulls. I bought a 2" piece of nylon strapping and was going to sew a 1/2" thick piece of closed cell foam from a foam camping pad to it.

I want to have Rufus at my side and not out in front like a sled dog. This will mean one attachment point on the side and I thought the carting harness would be easiest to adapt.

I need to know where on the chest the harness should be? There's a pointed bone in there and I don't know if it goes on that bone or above it?

Does anybody cart who can help me out?

Anybody have their dog pull them on a bike?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello and Welcome I'm a pretty new member myself. My dog's gf's owner lol has a bike and instead of having her pull him anywhere [she's a pitbull] he has her run alongside him and trains her to stay near him and so forth. he began with small commands such as No, Come, Stay, etc. Maybe you could try this approach and see if it works? I understand your dog has a bit of a hankering to chase things but he should still be able to listen to you when you say no.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi, If your dog tends to pull for cats and other animal and your riding on a main road. This could be highly dangerous for yourself and people driving. Especially if he decides to pull across your bike.

Pam

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I bike with my dog Rufus, a GSD/Rottie mix. I now attach him to the bike near the rear wheel on the right side. I use a rope looped around the frame and attached to a flat collar, I also have a leash from another collar to the handle bars but this is longer and if he pulls he is pulling against the bike frame. The leash is so I can control him with out lifting out of the seat. This set up works well.
I've seen a woman bike with two medium sized dogs at the park recently like you describe. The dogs looked happy but I was a bit stunned at the way it looks from afar. The dog had no choice but to run to keep up with the bike or risk being dragged and at times, I was afraid the dogs' nose would catch on the rear wheel. (This woman only allowed about 2' of leash from the bike frame) She was biking quite fast too. :(

Mike, if your dog still pulls when you are on the bike, wouldn't it be much better to teach him to keep pace with you loose leashed before biking with him? That way you have a base to teach your dog the difference between pulling. It's too easy to get these two things mixed up for a dog until learn when they shouldn't pull at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Tipper

I have been pulled off the bike and hurt, when a loose dog came at us from one side while we were meeting another dog. Rufus is about 120 lbs and I had him leashed to the handle bars which gave him a lot of leverage. He just walked behind the bike and took it with him. With him hooked to the bike down low by a short rope he cannot get in front or behind the bike. I still got him by a 100 lbs so he can't move the bike as long as I'm on it. Before I added the second leash to the bars I had to lift my butt off the bike to reach him if he was not responding to my voice and he could pull the bike. I can now get his attention when he is not acting right with a little tug.

I think that biking with a dog is a little nutty anyway, but I think I got it under control? It allows me to give him a 2 or 3 mile trot before work every day in less than a 1/2 hr or a quick little run before we travel or company comes over. He's a high energy guy but once that need is met he is happy to lay around for awhile.

I bike around my block in a residential neighborhood without much auto traffic, lots of dog walkers, kid's, cats, squirrels, and deer, skunks, raccoons, at night. There's no problem, a lets go and a little tug moves him right by cats a couple of feet away. If he has met the dog before I can get him to walk by but he wants to meet any new dog and the loose dogs are still loose. 3 or 4 deer 50' away are stiil a challenge! There are some critters that are obviously in need of herding!

Anyway I want him to pull me. I just want to either control that lock in/go prey drive thing or redirect it to pulling. It's really fun to feel his power when he runs and pulls but I want to make sure it is safe for him. He really likes it you can tell by the way he carries his body and acts. Plus it's that much more exercise.

So if there is anyone out there that can tell me where on the neck/chest a carting harness, the one with the single band not the y, should be I think I will be set to start sewing. It would be easier for me to understand if you could tell me where in relatioship to his breastbone. I have it pinned together and have tried it on Rufus.

Or if you think, from experience, that another type of harness would work better remembering I want to pull from the side and as far forward as possible not the back or top of Rufus I would like the benifit from that experience.

Thanks Mike

Alpha Brady

Someday Rufus will be able to do that and I can take him trail riding, we have leash laws even though we have loose dogs. Rufus is a 2 yr. rescue and I have had him for 10 months so he is a work in progress. He just lost his off leash snowshoeing privileges. After 5 or six trips with great recall he stopped coming back so back to jail.

Just Tess

I let Rufus set the pace and I never pull him I let him pull me, and I go slow. We dog trot.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
There are a couple of people here who bike their dogs in the manner you describe. I just don't remember who they are. For having the dog on the side, I would just use one of the typical step in H-type harnesses found in pet stores (I have seen attachments that mount to the side to place the dog).

The purpose of the carting and pull harnesses is to put the pressure on the shoulders/chest by pushing with the breast plate against the harness. The contact point should be the breast plate itself. You mentioned the pointed bone, and that's where you want the harness contact to be (the point should just barely be above the harness edge, like 1/4 inch or less). Across it evenly, not above (choke) or to far below (chafing). I'm still not visualizing how the pressure would be adequately put on the chest if the dog is at your side. My preference would be to have the dog out front for pulling, so there's no undue stress put on weird areas not meant for that kind of pressure.

As mentioned, I would work diligently on getting the dog responsive off bike before venturing out into squirrel ridden territories on bike. When you do have a harness, you can start by having him drag a little weight and work on decreasing the distance to distractions. Go slow and don't expect miraculous results too soon. It sounds like he was never trained with distractions in the first place.

Here's a pic of my idiots training for pulling...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harrise
Thanks

That should let me get started. So how will the carting harness pull?
As I said I have it mocked up and I put it on and pulled against it. What I would expect to be happening is it pulls against the strap that goes around his chest/belly on the opposite side from the attachment point. But I think that there is friction across the whole chest band area that tends to hold it? I can pull Rufus around and it only seems to pull against the chest band and the chest/belly strap doesn't try to move forward? If it works I will post pictures if I can, I'm not a computer person.

Some harness's have a plate of sorts like a Y, they seem to have a lot of padding, have you used them?

If I could bike on the trail I would like to try him in front but not on the road I want to always be able to keep the bike between him and any cars, but like I say there's not much traffic and I go slow, I can get off the road when cars are coming from both directions. It's also with him at my side we are hanging out as opposed to working. There's a lot of interaction and I like to see his face and how he reacts to things.

In the picture of the dog on the bike, if that dog decided to pull the D-ring on the collar would pull to the side and the collar would pull against the dog’s throat that’s what would happen with Rufus if I let it, I just peddle faster to take the pressure off so he's running but not really pulling.

If you used an H harness it would pull it over to the side. I've tried and I also hooked him up to his empty pack (ruff wear), both seemed to me to be pulling funny and I was worried about injury?

Nice looking dog's, looks like they are really into pulling, do you compete?

Thanks again Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I understand that you want your dog to pull you but I think that's a recipe for disaster. You want to get pulled, get a sled and move to the North Pole. Say Hi to Santa for me.

I tried bicycling last year while holding the dogs retractable leash. Here's how it all went down, pun intended. It started off ok...she stayed with me for the most part, but I had to occasionally hold the leash up over my head when the dog went from one side to the other so it wouldn't get caught up on the bike, and if she fell behind I had to stop or she would get yanked by the neck. If she pulled ahead especially to one side I had to work to keep the bicycle balanced.

As if that wasn't bad enough, at one point she got in front of the bike tire and stopped dead in her tracks, I slammed on both brakes, barely avoided hitting her and the bike went up in the air end over end and I went flying over the handlebars and scraped up a knee and the palm of my hand in a tangled heap on the bike. Luckily my dog was unhurt from my stupidity.

As per my other posts, I can hardly wait to get out there again with the bike when it warms up. She's now trained using an ecollar to stay within 15 feet of me at all times with no leash.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
But I think that there is friction across the whole chest band area that tends to hold it?
There probably is tension across the chest, but this would be my concern:
The harness is using the lateral placement straps to put a bit of tension across the chest from the force being exerted on the D-ring (white). If you're hooking the dog up to the side with just that side's ring, I see a pressure point forming on the shoulder of that side (green). Over time constant pressure on that point might cause injury. One of those kind of injuries that takes a lot of rehab. If this is not how you're hooking up then disregard it. I still think the best way to pull is out front with even pressure on both side straps to push against the breast plate. Just train for it.

Some harness's have a plate of sorts like a Y, they seem to have a lot of padding, have you used them?
I've only used the kind with the 'y' for pulling, made them myself too. The padding isn't a big deal unless your going for huge distance (we're only doing about 4-6 miles in addition to our usual runs). I've read a lot of people don't even want padding on their harnesses. Mine are padded very lightly with old sleeping bag stuffing that's water resistant. This is the latest one I made for my Saint...

If you used an H harness it would pull it over to the side.
Yeah, I checked and my dogs are all at maximum expansion and the plastic hardware keeps it from moving to the sides.

Nice looking dog's, looks like they are really into pulling, do you compete?
Thanks. No, we don't compete at all. In fact, we didn't even start with the bike until October last year. So maybe someday we might do something in competition. Just not anytime soon. I mainly do it to fulfill some thing I have about them being bred for it, and they seem to enjoy it too.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I bike with my dogs. Lloyd is trained to voice commands and listens to them very well (have one for turning left, right, slowing down, speeding up, stopping, going, I have one to remind him to get over if he is veering in close to the bike). He also keeps himself in place alongside the bike, so I just hold his leash and he runs on my right. Allie isn't as bright and doesn't seem to get the concept of not running into the bike. So, she is attached with a walky dog attachment on the left, with a regular petstore harness.

We go at a trotting pace for the most part, with some intermitten faster running. During the summer we work up to 2-3 miles on the bike. In the winter its back to walking. This year I am also going to add a pack to Lloyd, he has been walking with it empty and I have been adding some weight to it now that he has turned 2. I'm also thinking of teaching him to pull a cart, and then a sled for winter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all

Harrise thanks for all your effort I wouldn't have been able to bring that picture up. I see your point and I think you are right about the potential for a injury. I guess that white piece is there for that reason. I guess I won’t do it, maybe I will make a harness for a cart since I have all the stuff and have him haul something around the block.

I will just continue with the biking as is, maybe put his pack on for more of a work out.

You did a great job on the harness for your St. maybe I will make one of those and get him to pull and see if I can get him to pull something until spring and then get him on a trail with the bike.

Rambler I can see why you don't want to bike with a leash.

Spicy1 that first harness is what I was thinking of. Do you own an Ovcharka? I work with a guy from over there he said they are not for the novice. He said that they are getting beat up by the war. I guess the Russians just shoot them; they don't mess around because of their protectiveness.

Melgrj7 How long did it take you to train Lloyd sounds like a great dog I can only hope with Rufus he sure has a mind of his own.

Well I'm off for a bike ride I have been sick and Rufus hasn't been on a run since Thursday AM. He has been great much better than I thought he could ever be, but he is at his limit, getting into everything, nice set of cat claw marks on his nose. A couple of months ago he could have never lasted this long without an outlet.

Mike

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Spicy1 that first harness is what I was thinking of. Do you own an Ovcharka? I work with a guy from over there he said they are not for the novice. He said that they are getting beat up by the war. I guess the Russians just shoot them; they don't mess around because of their protectiveness.
It works really well for me. Its wider in the chest then the average nylon ones.

I have Caucasian Ovcharka. From over where? I probably wouldn't recommend one to a first time owner. Many can't handle common, friendly, easy breeds. Russians have used them for a long time for themselves and with their own breeding programs. I wouldn't recommend to mess around with one. If I had to protect myself I would shoot a dog. They are very alert and can be highly defensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts