Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my sister doesn't take care of her dog...and I took over. Ok well my parentals said it was ok lol. The thing is...unlike my other dogs...he is of the herding breed. So I was thinking I could train him to ride beside my bike. Just one question...how the heck do you do that? I was thinking maybe a bicycle jogger but I don't have enough money for one.

Also What is a good brand of crate for him for travel? ( i like plastic because the other dogs use their sleeping crates for travel to the vet too) I was thinking maybe Remington or something? IDK

·
Registered
33 Posts
cool, i bike with my dog all the time, either on the leash or off. the way i got Chance to stay by me was first get the bicycle ready, lower the seat so you can put both feet flat on the ground to help you stay upright in case the dog pulls, which it probably will.

then put the dog on the leash and walk around with the dog heeling, changing direction abruptly and often, once you see the dog is really watching and paying attention to you, walk toward the bike and just ease onto it and coast real slow, pushing with one or both feet, hold the leash in one hand and the handle bars in the other. don't grab the handle bars with the hand that has the leash in it, if the dog yanks on the leash, it'll whip your front tire to the side and cause you to wreck.

pay attention to the dog at all times, if you see it start to deviate from the course you set, you will have enough time to react.

good luck, and probably should wear a helmet until you know how the dog will react out in public.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hm... try giving him treats around the bike, or even feeding him near it... maybe just walk the bike around in the backyard so that he gets used to it, and while it is moving. My dog didn't like my bike at first, so I rode it around in the backyard. She doesn't like it when I ride my bike with her on the leash though, but off leash she is fine and will run next to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daily challenge: How QUICKLY can I tire my 6 month old Aussie (by 7:30 am) so that I can change and drive to work? Eight hours in a wire crate for 8 hrs sounds terrible, even if Skyloh does prefer to sleep wherever he likes outside at night. He barks incessantly when the crate’s gate is closed unless he has a bone or Kong while I am working beside him. For a whole month he wouldn’t even touch the treat... just bark! Can anyone relate? Yes, I have a shadow dog w separation anxiety. I am 7 wks into ownership and I need help with his herding instinct when I runs beside my bike. Sometimes I can go only a couple feet before I have to get off and give him a treat w a, “Settle down.” I have worked on this Off and On line, in a parking lot and well as on a huge lawn for one week. I just ordered a bike pole w quick release line bc I don’t care to run over him or fall on my hip again. (I am an active senior...and we are fine🤷‍♀️.) I need to be hands free! The pup heels well when we walk using the clicker, treats and “look at me” command. I haven’t been nipped yet when I pick up speed on the bike, but his barking is so ferocious that anyone watching would think I am in perilous danger. I went painstakingly slow 3 times and worked up to his fast walk without barking, but I think he was virtually hoarse by then. 😝 I go back to work SOON! Btw, Skyloh prefers sleeping outside to being inside in a crate. For some reason, he is quiet out there under the starts from 11 pm-7 am! I wonder if a dog house will be doable in cold weather. So much to learn. Love the breed. Good thing his “narcissism!” is countered by wits and affection! Aussie lovers out there... I bet you can relate to this! I just wish he had taken to a frisbee. He will retrieve a ball about 3 times and then just stare at me looking manicky & fetching it repeatedly. You’d think he was hormonal: “Not today, love.”

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Forced exercise, where the person sets the pace and distance, is not a good idea for puppies. Their bones are still growing, and the repetitive stress can damage the growth plates.

Nosework is a good way to wear a dog out. Thinking and sniffing is hard work. I do a training session, and my dogs will crash for hours afterward.

Is he a bit claustrophobic, maybe? If he's good about holding his bowels and bladder, have you tried using an ex-pen instead of a crate, or just baby-gating him in a dog proofed room?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts