Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my husband and I are on our summer vacation right now in California, and are preparing to take off on our yearly bike tour, this time along the west coast. Last year we biked New England with Charlotte, who ran part way and rode in a bike trailer the other part, and we had a lot of fun. This will be our first year taking both Charlotte AND Ma'ii, and we're real excited about it. Ma'ii has a lot more stamina and fun running alongside the bike trailer (no way in hell would we ever put our dogs in front of the bike) then Charlotte does. She enjoys it, but she's older now, and runs out of steam a lot faster. We've done several training/test runs with Ma'ii, and the farthest we've gone with him in a day is 30 miles. And after a rest, he STILL wanted to keep running! So, our plan for this trip is to travel 20 miles a day with Ma'ii running the trailer on one side, and Charlotte running off and on on the other side of the trailer and taking lots of breaks. We bought a large dog bike trailer that can handle up to 120 pounds right before we left AZ, so if need be we can stick them both in there.

We know all about the safety issues of biking with dogs, and are very adamant about their needs coming first on trips like these. But I got thinking earlier. My husband and I are going to be taking vitamins ourselves for this. Should Ma'ii and Charlotte be taking some as well to help them out since their bodies are going to be working harder then usual? And if so, what kind?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
No idea about the vitamins, but I think we need pictures! Lots and lots of pictures. Sounds like a dream trip. Happy trails!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if this is applicable to your dogs, but I know that sled dogs are supplemented with up to 400 iu of vitamin E because of the exercise they undergo daily. The recommendation for normal dogs (in a normal situation) is about 20 iu, which can generally be found in dog food. Maybe supplement vitamin E somewhere between there, perhaps 200 iu? It's generally recommended to give the dog the supplement in the form of alpha-tocopherol.

Aside from that, I would just focus on feeding your dog a well-rounded diet. It's also possible to by dog multivitamins that might help.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea about the vitamins, but I think we need pictures! Lots and lots of pictures. Sounds like a dream trip. Happy trails!
We're well equipped with a camera, I can assure you!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if this is applicable to your dogs, but I know that sled dogs are supplemented with up to 400 iu of vitamin E because of the exercise they undergo daily. The recommendation for normal dogs (in a normal situation) is about 20 iu, which can generally be found in dog food. Maybe supplement vitamin E somewhere between there, perhaps 200 iu? It's generally recommended to give the dog the supplement in the form of alpha-tocopherol.

Aside from that, I would just focus on feeding your dog a well-rounded diet. It's also possible to by dog multivitamins that might help.
Well, our dogs are on Canidae which I consider to be a good well rounded diet. But I just wasn't sure if they might need something more. I check that out. Someone else also suggested Salmon oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts