Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bigger dog attacked my little dog. My one and a half year old female lab mix attacked my three year old Chihuahua mix after giving him a bath. The lab mix has never shown any signs of aggression since I got her a year ago, never fought or tried to start a fight, she's the nicest dog I have known. The only instance was a few months ago when she tried pinning him down also after a bath. Now the little dog is in the hospital with a gash in his stomach. Can anyone explain to me why this happened?

The little dog was the one that was bathed. It was about an hour after he was bathed that it happen and he was done zooming and running around. The Bigger dog was outside during that time. The attack happened when my wife got home with guests and let the bigger dogs inside. It happened really quick. The little dog is very reactive with her but she has never snapped back or show aggression with him, aside from when she tried to pin him down after the little dog was given a bath a previous time. Is it possible that she didn't recognize him as a dog with the shampoo smell and fluffier appearance and reacted when the little tried to be defensive as it was another animal?

We also have another female chihuahua and there has never been a problem on the big dog side. I have four dogs, two males and two females, two small, male and female, and one medium male and a big one female. There has never been aggression between them. The female chihuahua actually is more reactive ( growls and tries to nip) when she tries to get near her to the bigger female dog and she only sees it as playing around. She has never engaged her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my parents own a fem poodle toy(~7years) and a fem lhasa apso(~13years) when they bath the dogs, the poodle gets really jealous on the lhasa and growls in a fighting mood, like when the poodle is finished, if we pick her up and the lhasa is around, the poodle gets really angry, shes jealous on other various situations but on bath its seems to be a much bigger deal, both dogs dont like bathing time
you think the bigger dog could be jealous of the chihuahua?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The obvious thing, for starters, is to keep them separated after bathing. The question is whether or not this is the beginning of a dangerous behavior pattern, or just something that happens at bath time.

My dogs are all the same size (all pedigree Labs). After bathing they tend to get the zoomies and go crazy, and the play can get unusually rough. You don't describe the attack. Are you sure it was actually an attack and not just rough play (which for a little dog can be damaging and needs to be prevented)?

The thing that I find possibly worrisome is your bigger dog's age. 1 1/2 yrs can be late teens for a Lab (they vary a lot), and a time when adult behavior starts to emerge. There are Labs who are DA. They aren't common but they exist. As for Lab-X's, they are all over the map in terms of behavior. Lab x terriers, for example, can be very terrier like with high prey drive. If you see signs suggesting aggressive behavior outside bath time, I would get help from a behavioralist or good trainer . . . or consider keeping the dogs permanently separated until you are confident that is safe for them to mix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was definitely an attack, she picked him up and and started shaking him like he was doing it to prey. it was not a dog fight. the little dog ended up with a gash in his stomach and hernia on one side. had to get a major operation. My lab mix has not shown any signs of aggression since then, even when the other chihuahua that we have tries to nip at her for smelling her. She does not show any aggression even when the other dogs take her from her. She is not even leash reactive or barks at any dog from the gate.
Separation is definitely a must from now after I bathe any of the little ones. Probably get a muzzle on the lab just for until things get normal again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts