Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving out soon and I'm thinkin of getting two big dogs. Would a St. Bernard and a Leonberger get along fine if they grew up together?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It would be best to get one dog (or puppy) first. Take time to train and bond with that dog, and then decide whether or not you want another one. If you have two at once (especially two puppies) not only will you go stir crazy, the pups will bond more with each other and not with you.

Dogs don't have to grow up together to get along. I have a 7 month old GSD and just adopted a 1 year old Rottweiler. We could tell within a half hour of them meeting one another that they would be best buds for life.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm moving out soon and I'm thinkin of getting two big dogs.
Is that "moving out", as in: "just got divorced"? Or is it "moving out" as in: "leaving the parental nest"?

If this will be your first time living on your own, I'd suggest you put off getting any dogs for at least a year. If you will be renting, I'd suggest you pick a more normal-sized breed--and then only one at a time. Even if your landlord is totally fine with giant dogs, your next one may be less sanguine about the prospect. It's hard enough finding rental housing when you have a small dog. It's way tougher when your dog is the size of a beef steer.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Is that "moving out", as in: "just got divorced"? Or is it "moving out" as in: "leaving the parental nest"?

If this will be your first time living on your own, I'd suggest you put off getting any dogs for at least a year. If you will be renting, I'd suggest you pick a more normal-sized breed--and then only one at a time. Even if your landlord is totally fine with giant dogs, your next one may be less sanguine about the prospect. It's hard enough finding rental housing when you have a small dog. It's way tougher when your dog is the size of a beef steer.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Well said.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Would a St. Bernard and a Leonberger get along fine if they grew up together?
To answer your question, probably yes. If they are well-bred dogs and don't have innate temperament issues, and you provide good leadership, then almost any 2 dogs who grow up together will get along fine.

I don't know anything about your situation, experience, age or anything, so I can't say if this is a wise move or not, but I had 2 puppies at the same time (from the same litter) and not only did I not go crazy, it was one of the best times of my life. And as long as you spend lots of quality time with each dog individually, they will bond with you. Mine did.

Now, whether you have the time to do that is another question. I wasn't working, so I had LOTS of time. But I wouldn't advise 2 puppies to someone who was working and had to leave the puppies for over 4 hours a day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've gotta run but can add more later...

I am raising a Leonberger pup with a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog pup right now (at the moment they are 12 weeks and 14 weeks). These are the two breeds I chose after my husband and I moved into our own place.

Two pups together is actually going really well. They are both human oriented breeds so while they get along great and love to play with each other they are both most definitely bonded to me and the family. I am also finding it easier to have two pups at once since they help each other work off their energy when I'm to tired after work to play.

Okay, yeah, a lot more to add but I do have to run. I'll post more tonight when I get home from work (like the crazy schedule I've had to make up to make sure the pups are never alone for to long).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Okay, back home with more time to post.

Some things to consider... What is your work schedule like? I moved around my work week so I do a 12, a 12, and a 14 to get all of my hours in and still have time to be with the pups and my kids. The two 12 hour days the pups stay with my parents until my husband gets off work then on the 14 hour day my husband is home all day with the pups. (I do Thursday, Friday, Saturday each week).

Big dogs cost a whole lot more than small dogs or even medium size dogs. My regular vet won't be able to do their spays so I'll have to go to the local specialty hospital. That is NOT going to be cheap. My food bill is also quite high and I keep them on a joint supplement because giant breeds are so prone to problems, not super expensive but it adds up.

I also have insurance on both of them due to the chance of bloat, splenic torsion (a swissy issue), and joint issues. They cost way more to insure than a smaller dog.

It is important for all dogs to be well-trained and socialized but I feel it's even more so for the giant breeds. I go to puppy classes three times a week, twice with the swissy and once with the leo. It's not cheap but it is necessary and we will continue on past puppy classes because those are really only the beginning.

If you have the time, money, and space, two giant breed pups are a blast! I'm loving watching them grow and bonding with them. If you are missing out on any of those three things I'd probably re-think the idea. It's something we thought long and hard about before deciding to go forward with and if we hadn't had the resources we wouldn't have done it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts