Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a chew toy (not food), how is giving your dog a big bone?

Petsmart sells a big knuckle and even bigger mammoth bone, but I've heard to avoid those as being too hard and probably soaked in chemicals. Or are they ok? I have a much better petstore (http://www.petsage.com/) nearby and I was going to see if they have raw bones. I could even try to talk to a butcher.

Or are bones just a luxury that is better avoided? My dog is a 4yr goldie/sherphed mix that is not big chewer. But being on limited exercise (due to heartworm) I thought it might a nice distraction for the next few weeks. Also the bone would be chewed inside, so I don't want a terrible stink and mess.

Lastly, if you do give a bone, do you give unlimited access or just for short periods? Do you clean the bone? How long is it good? Do you toss it if it starts to splinter? Any other tips?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Raw bones make excellent chews for dogs. They clean teeth, provide calcium and occupy your dog. Stay as far away as possible from cooked bones, which can splint. Raw bones are fine, and you can often get them from your butcher for cheap or free.

Stay away from load-bearing bones, like knuckles or femurs. Necks and ribs are good bones to try out with your dog. Don't worry about her chewing them up and ingesting them -- it's perfectly normal.

If you want to avoid mess, you might want to give her the bone in her crate if she has one; or lay down some newspaper on the floor. It honestly doesn't smell very bad at all.

I give my dogs their bones until they've finished them. Some will take the bone away from their dogs if their dogs are having trouble grinding them up or if the piece is getting too small, but I've never done this and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is my first post in this forum. My experience with large bones has been bitter sweet. I have found that the bones DO keep the dog occupied for extended periods of time and they are gr8 in moderation. The side issue is a strong chewer can actually wear their front fangs down if allowed to chew everyday for extended periods of time.

·
Banned
785 Posts
Yes to what Rosemaryninja said. The hard weight bearing beef bones have been known to chip, crack, and break dog's teeth. Also, chewing on them is akin to chewing on sandpaper. They will wear teeth down.

Non-weight bearing bones are great for teeth, gums, and general oral hygene. The more meat on the bone the better. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Beef ribs are a good size for most dogs, and I haven't met a dog that would refuse one. They're yummy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to Petsage and they do sell various frozen raw bones. I got two ribs and gave her the first one mostly still frozen. She loved it and ate one over two sessions (I put back in frig between). It wasn't a mess or smell at all, but just a happy hound. Her first time with marrow didn't cause any GI problems.

After all the meat and such was clear, she continued on the bone, but only actually ate a small fraction of the bone. She continues to gnaw on it off and on, so I haven't taken it away yet. But will soon and give her the 2nd one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Big bones?Marrow

is it ok if my dog chips away and eats some of the actual hard marrow bone

if i take it away and there is still marrow, should it go in the fridge, freezer or counter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Big bones?Marrow

How about puppy teeth? What bones would be suited for a puppy to chew on? how about short(cut) beef ribs with the meat on them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts