Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm liking this Taste of the Wild dry kibble...

Of course, it is a premium food with a premium price.

If I buy a larger bag (15 lb instead of 5 lb) do I have to worry about it spoiling after I open it?

My pup seems to get through a 5 lb bag in two weeks at this point...so six weeks on a 15 lb bag.

What's the shelf life on an open bag of higher end dog kibble?

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
I buy a 28 lbs bag which lasts me about 5 weeks. It has a resealable (ziplock type) top which I'm sure helps. I think 5-6 weeks if its sealed between feedings would be fine. You should be able to smell if its starts to go rancid.
If you have a deep freeze, you could probably buy the largest bag and freeze half of it, then thaw before feeding. Never tried this though, I just freeze treats sometimes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A 5lb bag of food lasts us a month. I think some of it depends on how you store it. A cool dry place would be best. I store dog food in the original bag inside a sealed plastic container and have never had a problem with it. You might also check with the dog food company. We feed a different food but they recommend using an opened bag within three months.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think 6 weeks should be fine. 3 months is pushing it. . .and some dogs are picky about their food being stale. My first dog wouldn't eat kibble after 3-4 weeks. And like Shell said, if you have a chest freezer, just put the rest of it in there.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A 30 pound bag of Taste of the Wild lasts us four and a half months for three dogs. Never had a problem with it going bad/stale or anything like that and I have a pretty picky eater.

I would say six weeks you're well in the clear.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I get a 50# bag that takes about 4 months to go through and keep it in a feed bin intended for pet food. It seals air tight. Jubel isn't picky in the least so that's no problem, I don't think it goes stale though. I'll probably have my first long term foster in 4-5 weeks so I'll start going through kibble faster when I'm supplying food for two dogs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Store the original bag in an airtight petfood storage container. Storing loose kibble in one can encorage older food to leave rancid deposits on the sides of the container. This is both unhealthy and unappetizing for your dog. I try not to keep a bag more than a month. After that, my dogs aren't as excited about the food, even when kept in an airtight container. Maybe the freezing idea has merit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Another advantage to storing food in the original bag is that you always have all the lot numbers etc. in the event of a recall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts