Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a beutiful puppy which I named Maya. She was born on August 30.
I took her to the vet on December 4th for her 3 round of shots, she was 13 weeks at the time. We didn't end up getting her shots as the vet said to come back at 16 weeks.

Anyways what stands out to me was her weight which was only 2lbs. Is that normal for 13 weeks? She is a very picky eater and i have her on Merricks both dry and wet puppy plate food. She eats it but never finishes everything. To me she does not eat that much but this is the first time i have ever had such a small dog so I don't know what "much" really is. I do want to point out that she appears happy and is super engergetic.

I love her to pieces and i want her to be healthy.

Any suggestion/comments would be appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I would ask your vet. It's not possible to say "she's at a healthy weights (or not)" without seeing her. If her parents were small, she'll likely be small, if her parents were larger, she'll probably be larger. If the vet says she's at ahealthy weight and is growing normally, than no worries!

One thing that can happen to tiny puppies is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). So make sure she eats at least a little bit on a regular basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts