Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some disturbing local news (local for me, meaning Beijing, China) in an email from my vet, that a Bichon had been tossed from an 18th story window and has miraculously survived. He landed on and broke the windshield of a car and is seriously injured to the point of possibly not living, despite intensive care.

Inter-cranial issues, internal bleeding and lots of broken bones says the vets office. The former owner says that the dog "annoyed" him so out the window he was flung or hurled.

According to the story, people stood around and took pictures. Some minor Chinese celebrity came to the rescue and brought the dog to the vet. And he plans to adopt him should the dog live. Upon reading this, I was about to rush in and offer the dog my forever home if things were not too ugly, as in traumatized dog beyond help and the like. That was before I read that the "celebrity" plans to adopt him if he survives.

My concern is, is the "celebrity" adopting him for the publicity angle, as in "Look what a great guy I am?" And will he lose interest in the dog once his purpose has been served.? I will say that he stepped up to a dog in serious need and I applaud him for that but I do have to wonder about his underlying motivation.

At any rate, I am going to question the vet tomorrow when I take Plume in and put myself forward as someone who might be willing to take the poor battered dog in should he survive his ordeal and if the celeb has a change of heart. Which I don't think he will for the time being. But what if the dog "annoys" HIM if it lives, a few months hence?

I will also add that Plume annoyed me quite a bit earlier this evening. She was being a brat. I didn't feel the urgent need to throw her out my 16th story window. I get that she doesn't seem to be feeling all too well, hushed her and sent her to bed with a comforting toy and a tasty treat.

As said in another thread, sometimes, I just don't understand people ...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is all too terrible for even words ... I would be banned! .......

However it turns out ... I so hope the poor thing survives. I will be saying lots of prayers for him.

I also pray the celebrity has nothing but good motives for the poor thing. If fate has it that this dog should become yours .... It is wonderful! :D

I just cannot understand .... it is a living thing! I learned to respect animals as a toddler. The very first time I tried to slide a toad down my sliding board on my swing set ... I got a tongue lashing I have never forgotten!!! ... and then some. It stuck ........... :(

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thank you, Abby. As one who HAS been banned for some direct and choice words on certain topics, I make it a point to choose my words carefully or else shut the heck up even when I feel strongly on a given topic.

The Bichon seems to be holding his own and is scheduled for surgery quick-ish. The doctors think he has a good chance of survival. The singer seems to be intent on adopting him once he is well. I told the doctors that if things don't work out with the singer, to please get in touch with me as a potential adopter.

As an update to Marie and Kafka, who kindly asked, Plume got a clean, or really, sterling bill of health today. The new vet, who I immediately identified as a fellow dog lover, was very complimentary to me as an owner. "You are a wonderful mother," she said in perfectly fluent English, "Plume is so lucky to have you." The appreciation was reciprocated as I thought she was a wonderful vet and had a lovely way with dogs and handling them, which I told her.

No UTI, she thought. No real signs other than urination frequency. And that could just be the hot weather and the increased water intake. No bloody urine, no excessive licking of her privates, etc. She did not suggest a possibly unnecessary test as a way to increase fees which I appreciated. Although, I was perfectly prepared to pay for such a test if she thought it necessary.

She examined Plume's teeth. The front ones and canines looked good, healthy and white, she said. The upper and lower ones in the back, not perfect ... a bit of tartar but nothing too awful. She told me she could see that I was trying to keep them clean. I told her that I do try but it can get pretty slippery and slimy back there and Plume doesn't love it but I do make the effort. She nodded in understanding and said that she doesn't think that Plume's teeth are to the point where she needs a deep under anesthesia cleaning. Just to keep up what I'm doing and that things should stay under control.

She told me that she thought Plume was a "very sweet" dog (she really is), that she thinks she's five or so years old and then the vet tech jumped in with, "so cute," which she also is. Plume was given permission to be taken from the examination table, brought down to the floor by me and then immediately jumped into my lap.

My sweet little sugar-bug. With the almost pearly whites and a bladder that seems to be doing its job. It looks like we'll have several more happy years together. And that makes me want to cry with joy ...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is a story for which I am ecstatic! ... So happy for you and Plume! (It also made me teary eyed!)

I am also happy you found a great vet ... as that is just so important!

Here's to many many happy and healthy years between Yourself and precious little Plume! :D

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I am thrilled the little dog has a good prognosis of a recovery! Poor little thing! The person who did that to that innocent creature will more than likely be paid back ten-fold ..... by a Higher Power.

I also hope the celebrity gives him a great life! :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, Plume is very precious to me.

I'm hoping that the little Bichon makes a full recovery and that the singer does right by him. If not, they know where to find me.

Thank you again and I hope all is going well in your household. In mine, you can guess who is waiting for me to join her in sleep. That would be my little sleepyhead and her sleepy human,soon to be planted beside her.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, Plume is very precious to me.

I'm hoping that the little Bichon makes a full recovery and that the singer does right by him. If not, they know where to find me.

Thank you again and I hope all is going well in your household. In mine, you can guess who is waiting for me to join her in sleep. That would be my little sleepyhead and her sleepy human,soon to be planted beside her.
All is well ... I did send you a PM like I promised ... hope you received it! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts