Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, how many people put up a Beware of Dog sign on your property. I've thought of doing it (not sure my mom would be too happy with that) because I've heard that having a sign like that could help you win a case in court, if by chance some prowler was on your land trying to break into your house and got severly bit. But the signs sure do give the public a negative view of your dogs if you were to have one.

what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't have one, and I've heard conflicting opinions on it. Not that many people would want to steal Marge, but I just feel uneasy drawing attention to the fact that there is a dog inside.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Well, I mentioned to someone that they could put up a sign that says BEWARE OF DOG, someone else brought to my attention and others that signs like that and GUARD DOG ON DUTY can actually add a negative effect and in court would make your dog appear aggressive... I hope I'm relying that across like the other poster! lol!

I don't think I would put one up... I would however get a "DOG CROSSING" sign, one that says, Dachshund Crossing (Example: I've seen those before in the driveways to homes that obviously have Dachshunds. lol!)

I think that's a nonchalant way to advertise you have dogs, but doesn't suggest they're aggressive... Just my opinion. ; )

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I dont have a beware of dog sign, I however have a funny sign that says "C'mon make my day!" with a grinning dog drawing. My MIL gave it to us.

I know some people choose not to put up beware of dogs sign because its like admitting that your dog is aggressive. Im not sure. One of our friends has a sign that says "Guard dogs on duty."

It will be interesting to see the responses on this thread. :D

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I bought one for my dogs, but it caused my parents to argue. Mom didn't want it 'cause she viewed it as being a bad thing, but dad said that it was a good idea, because Callie has bitten people in the past, and it would serve as a warning.... I completely forgot that I had it until this thread. The ground was frozen when I bought it, so I couldnt' stake it in the yard. I'll have to do that this week.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
I found a sign I REALLY loved the other day "Forget the dog, beware of the owner!"

I was VERY tempted to buy it and display it proudly... ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
No we dont. And I would never place one up. our only sign is "we got rid of the kids, the dog was allergic" and "guard cat on duty", yup we are lame lol. Im not worried about some one coming in and getting bit by marley (the cat) she is not a cat who even wants a new person to touch her)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard they could be more harmful then helpful because they could give the impression that you know you have an aggressive dog.

I've heard it was best to just put a "No Trespassing" sign. But this may vary state by state.

Edit: I also heard that if you do post signs they should be clearly visible and posted on all four sides of your property.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i was informed by to police officers (1 in CO the other in MN) when i had my GSD and GSD/Dobe to use signs saying "DOG ON PREMISES"....it told people they were there, so they were warned, but it was not a negative light on the dogs.....

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We've just got silly ones in the backyard for our own enjoyment. I don't want to advertise there are dogs inside to the public, because there are sickos out there. We've got a Dachshund crossing, a "Premises is patrolled by a Norwegian Elkhound." and a "Caution: Unbalanced dog." with a mutt on it doormat when you step inside our front door.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I found a sign I REALLY loved the other day "Forget the dog, beware of the owner!"

My Grandfather has this sign, and he had it on display until recently when they finally had to fence in their property. Its now in his gun smithing shop.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
We have one, but it's on our closed in back porch, but in order for anyone to really need to be worried about it is if they're breaking into our house.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have 2 one on each gate to my yard that say Dog On Property.

I also have 2 others one says- Danger and has a picture of a cartoon dog under it and beside those it says I'm Small but I Know Kung-Fu

The other one says- Dog Owner: Pick up after your dogs Thank you Dogs: Grrr. Bark. Woof. Good Dog.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It really depends on your local ordinances. A "No Tresspassing" sign clearly posted does protect you in many ways, whereas a Beware of Dog sign could actually work against you legally.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have thought about a sign for our back gate that says dogs on property....the only thing we have now is a sticker in the front window from the fire department that says please save our 3 dogs and 2 birds :)....I'm not sure how likely a fireman is going to stop to read it but at least its there

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my front window there are 3 signs hanging that can been seen clearly when walking up and its for firemen one stating that there are 3 dogs in the house, one stating that there is 1 cat an on stating that there are 8 ferrets.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have a variety of signs 1. Beware Of Dog (snarling Shepherd)
2. Beware Of Owner, I don't really care about the insurance program admitting I have a bad dog as it is up to me to control or house dogs properly.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts

I like this one a lot but the one below I have seen and I have been tempted to put up.

In this State the issue is liability and too many lawyers (we need to swap out 2/3rds of the lawyers and replace them with Engineers.....).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts