Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even begin to express what a horrible weekend I've had, I hope I'm posting this in the right area where enough people will see...
About a week and a half ago, my boyfriend and I were coming to the end of our German Shepherd puppy search (all the potential litters were taken quickly) we were feeling disheartened when we found this website:
http://cherokeeshepherds.com/GSD/
We jumped on the opportunity and I emailed Jeane excitedly and told her about our newly fenced in backyard and how our current puppy needed a companion.
I heard back from her the next day and we went to visit her 'kennel' in Bothell, Washington.
Right away something felt a little off, she kept all her dogs in the garage with bales of hay and when she opened the door she instantly stepped in feces. She told us to stand in her driveway and wouldn't let us meet the stud, or come too close to her house. I looked to my boyfriend who seemed at ease and I trusted that he might alert me if something felt off.
We instantly fell in love with a little two month old boy and named him Gunnar.
Jeane was very eager to send him home with us that day, we didn't expect she would since we only made a down payment of $400 when she wanted $900 total for this 'purebred'. It was our first time dealing with a breeder, we had always adopted muts through PAWs before so we didn't know what to look for or expect.
Later on I was told she should have shown us the dogs pedigree and papers, as well as both parents and not just the Mom.
As we left, she gave us a contract to sign that looked like it had been made in a word document not too long ago.
We excitedly did everything she asked, not knowing what to ask for and what to expect.
Right when we got home we noticed the puppy had mange, after looking in the light and observing our other dog who hadn't been itching, develop welts and irritated skin.
I did some research that week (I should have done it sooner, I know) and found reviews on this web-site from people saying to run from away from this 'breeder'. Not only was her kennel not AKC registered (as she claimed) but there was no proof on her web-site or documentation given to us that this puppy was certified in any way for genetic disorders or hip guarantees (again, no pedigree to be found).
I returned the puppy to her the other day and not only did she give me a 'I hope you die' look, but she called me childish, selfish and when I accused her of running a puppy mill, she yanked the boy out of my arms and flipped me off as she slammed the gate in my face.
Now here I am, wanting to warn others of Jeane and her unethical backyard breeding before someone winds up in my position.
I was naive to go ahead and get this puppy before doing more research, not only did Jeane deny me a refund but she insulted me and who knows what condition those dogs are in.
Turns out Jeane has been shut down twice for running a puppy mill and she's notorious in the Seattle/Bothell area.
Please spread the word! I plan on contacting animal control, but I want to get the word out as fast as possible in case more people fall into her trap. I don't know how this lady keeps opening up a puppy mill over and over.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Very, very good on you for returning the puppy and trying to spread the word. Unfortunately there are so many people who just don't know what makes a GOOD breeder and though you started off getting the puppy, you looked more into it and made the right decision in the end.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
She denied you a refund? Doesn't she OWE you your money back? I find that very odd. Of course I don't know what laws are like where you're from.

Good that you returned the puppy! But she still has your money... :( I hope you can get it back through whatever means necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I feel some guilt for returning the puppy to that horrible woman, but I didn't realize how awful and unprofesional she was until I met with her in person under those conditions and understood that she was just upset that she wasn't getting more money out of me.
I'm still learning about the right qualities to look for in a breeder! A professional breeder.

I hope so too, but at this point I don't expect it...she's obviously unethical and just backyard breeding.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I feel some guilt for returning the puppy to that horrible woman, but I didn't realize how awful and unprofesional she was until I met with her in person under those conditions and understood that she was just upset that she wasn't getting more money out of me.
I'm still learning about the right qualities to look for in a breeder! A professional breeder.

I hope so too, but at this point I don't expect it...she's obviously unethical and just backyard breeding.
Did you sign any kind of a contract before you paid for the puppy? If you did, and if the contract doesn't say anything about the money being non-refundable, I would seriously consider taking her to small claims court just to make a statement.

What a crappy situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We signed a document with our names, addresses, and emails but nothing about the dog being non-refundable.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Isn't there a return policy or something? If you return the dog within X amount of time, you get a full refund... or something? A federal law maybe? Something that tells you what your rights are at this moment?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
We signed a document with our names, addresses, and emails but nothing about the dog being non-refundable.
As long as it says something about the fee that you paid, and does not specifically say that the money was non-refundable, I think you have a good case for getting your money back if you pursue it in court. Especially given the conditions her "facility" is in and the puppy was in. The fees for small claims court are generally pretty low (most likely lower than the money you paid for the puppy)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that I'm aware. And I probably can't get near her property again to try to demand my money back.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dog sellers are under the same laws as any merchant, so if you returned the puppy they have to return your money. And some states have specific "puppy lemon laws", but I can't find anything for Washington state :(. I think this is worth pursuing, if just so she doesn't keep your money so she can continue to mistreat animals with it.

http://www.animallaw.info/topics/tabbed topic page/spuspetpurchaser.htm

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Yes, pursue the return of your money.

If you are still looking for a GSD, there are several good breeders in Washington and the surrounding states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, pursue the return of your money.

If you are still looking for a GSD, there are several good breeders in Washington and the surrounding states.
Would you be able to tell me their names? Or should I look on the AKC web-site?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
AKC is not going to help you much. Do you want working lines or show lines? European, or American? There are many many many many MANY facets and subsets in the GSD breed. It's actually a little complicated (it shouldn't be, but it is).

What kind of energy level are you expecting? Size (GSDs should NOT weigh 100+ pounds and be 30" tall)? Color (black and tan, sable, bi color, black)? Are you interested in any dog sports, or just a nice companion?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AKC is not going to help you much. Do you want working lines or show lines? European, or American? There are many many many many MANY facets and subsets in the GSD breed. It's actually a little complicated (it shouldn't be, but it is).

What kind of energy level are you expecting? Size (GSDs should NOT weigh 100+ pounds and be 30" tall)? Color (black and tan, sable, bi color, black)? Are you interested in any dog sports, or just a nice companion?
We're more interested in a companion/working breed with about the same energy level (loves to run) as a collie (we have a collie mix who loves to do laps). Black and tan coat.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
You're probably going to want a Euro or American show line if you want black and tan. You can get black and tan in working lines, but they're almost never saddled.

Have you had a GSD before?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Isn't there a return policy or something? If you return the dog within X amount of time, you get a full refund... or something? A federal law maybe? Something that tells you what your rights are at this moment?
The website that the OP posted has the agreement and there is a refund if the pup is returned within 5 days. The guarantee also states that the dogs are capable of AKC registration. Not owning a pure bred there are things in there that state about health testing but it's 2 years out so I have no clue if that's normal (does seem odd to me).

I certainly would go for the money if you have the proper documentation.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The website that the OP posted has the agreement and there is a refund if the pup is returned within 5 days. The guarantee also states that the dogs are capable of AKC registration. Not owning a pure bred there are things in there that state about health testing but it's 2 years out so I have no clue if that's normal (does seem odd to me).

I certainly would go for the money if you have the proper documentation.
Then I'd definitely want the money. It sounds like OP has a valid case and is in her right to claim her money back. Take a lawyer if you can afford one, take it to court. Send the 'breeder' a signed letter stating you will take legal action with a lawyer to get your money back. Perhaps she'll give in to the heat and return your money. And if not? You see her in court. I don't think this 'breeder' will like that kind of publicity.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good for you for doing your research about your puppy after getting him. It's really important with german shepherds especially to get them health tested, especially for their hips. She should have had no qualms about showing you both the sire and dam. I hope you get your money back but this lady sounds awful. Even though her pups are poorly bred I still feel bad for them :(.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You're probably going to want a Euro or American show line if you want black and tan. You can get black and tan in working lines, but they're almost never saddled.

Have you had a GSD before?
German Show comes more in black and red.

Technically everything, from Bi-Color, Saddle Back to Large Saddle Back ... it's all black & tan.... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.