Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is usually well-behaved on her leash. She walks nicely, with no pulling until she sees or smells something she wants to pursue. Lately, I've been working with her to improve her very poor attention skills.

We started by walking around the yard, I'd say her name, and then mark & reward when she looked at me. We've been slowly increasing distractions - I started calling her when she didn't appear to be interested in anything, moved to calling her at the first sign of distraction, and now we're doing the same thing on our walks.

If we continue working together, will we get to a point where I can expect her to respond to me even if she's seemingly engrossed in following a scent or stalking a bunny? Or is that expecting too much?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Um . . . I don't know that I'll ever be more interesting than rabbits, unless I start dressing in bacon, but using the same technique, Kabota will look at me unless the rabbit is within 5' and moving. Trust me, this is a lot of progress.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not thanking you sooner - I've been sick. I appreciate the advice. I'd really just like a dog I can walk on a regular collar without worrying that she'll choke herself trying to chase a crow or pull me over to follow a deer scent. I'll keep working with her - we may need to start from scratch since we haven't done anything for a week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its no miracle, but Loose Leash Walking will provide focus for the dog. Its not a technique for dogs that pull, its a technique for distracted dogs, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts