1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who didnt knew about them :)

About Best Friends Animal Society

A better world through kindness to animals

Best Friends Animal Society is guided by a simple philosophy: kindness to animals builds a better world for all of us.

In the late 1980s, when Best Friends was in its early days, roughly 17 million dogs and cats
were being killed in shelters every year. Despite the commitment of shelter workers to the animals
in their care, the conventional belief was that little could be done to lower that terrible number.

Best Friends' No More Homeless Pets campaign created a new vision: A grassroots effort to place dogs and cats who were considered "unadoptable" into good homes, and to reduce the number of unwanted pets through effective spay and neuter programs. Since then, the number of dogs and cats being destroyed in shelters has fallen to approximately 5 million a year. There has been much progress,but there is still much more to do.

The next phase of this work – bringing the number down to essentially zero – will take more work and some bold new initiatives. Shelters are crowded with pit bulls, dogs abandoned after being bought from pet stores, stray cats rounded up on the streets and not looking their very best when they’re brought in, and other pets abandoned or neglected.

As the flagship of a grassroots network of people and organizations that care about animals, Best Friends continues to lead the way towards this future. And that's why our purpose remains: A better world through kindness to animals.

Read more at www.bestfriends.org

Here's a video about them

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Best friends holds that all purebred animals are inferior to mutts and any purposeful breeding of dogs is wrong (as per one issue of their VERY shiny magazine in 2004. First and last one I got when I donated some money.)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Best Friends dos do some good but sadly, like too many organizations that started out as animal welfare organizations, I think they've basically been taken over by the "animal rights" movement.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Best friends holds that all purebred animals are inferior to mutts and any purposeful breeding of dogs is wrong
So the only possible source of puppies is accidental? That doesn't sound like a good plan, but it does sound familiar.

I don't care for the idea of relying exclusively on irresponsible owners to avoid the extinction of canines.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Best friends holds that all purebred animals are inferior to mutts and any purposeful breeding of dogs is wrong (as per one issue of their VERY shiny magazine in 2004. First and last one I got when I donated some money.)
I read their magazine (online) and I've never seen that they think purebreds are inferior---they rescue purebreds, too. Saying "mutts are super!" isn't the same as saying "purebreds are stoopid!".

I'm not certain as to their opinions on breeding, but after seeing so many bad breeders, I'm rather of the opinion that the number of good breeders is so low so as to be statistically insignificant. So if I say "all breeders are bad".....of course I wouldn't mean good breeders but there are so few of them that using "all" is still appropriate. If I dealt with what they deal with on a daily basis, well, I'd probably abdicate from the human race.

I think their "No more homeless pets" initiative is terrific, and (after looking at their magazine again just to be sure), there isn't anything I see that I disagree with. I don't see any evidence they're crossing the line into Animal Rights.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'm not certain as to their opinions on breeding, but after seeing so many bad breeders, I'm rather of the opinion that the number of good breeders is so low so as to be statistically insignificant. So if I say "all breeders are bad".....of course I wouldn't mean good breeders but there are so few of them that using "all" is still appropriate.
I'd have to disagree. I don't think there's any justification for that kind of sweeping statement. A lot of good breeders never advertise, or breed very little, or are otherwise 'under the radar'. Of course most of the ones you (and rescue people) see suck, because those are the ones that plaster ads everywhere they can, whose animals end up in rescues, and who end up in the papers all time time for animal abuse. It's not an accurate picture of reality, because 'good breeders' don't make the news, and any group that wants to say 'all breeding is bad' is just as dangerous as people like the HSUS who actively lobby to make breeding so expensive or restrictive that not even GOOD breeders could do it. Because they make it sound like such draconian laws are justifiable, and they're really not.

However, I've never heard BF bash responsible breeding, myself. Does anyone have links to such statements?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Of course most of the ones you (and rescue people) see suck, because those are the ones that plaster ads everywhere they can, whose animals end up in rescues, and who end up in the papers all time time for animal abuse.
If all the breeders I see suck, then obviously all the breeders that most potential puppy buyers see suck, so how are dog lovers supposed to put an end to bad breeding? It just seems impossible at this point, especially when many "good" breeders will defend bad breeders just because they breed---preserve individual rights at all costs.

any group that wants to say 'all breeding is bad' is just as dangerous as people like the HSUS who actively lobby to make breeding so expensive or restrictive that not even GOOD breeders could do it.
If the group isn't active in politics, does their opinion count any more than anybody's opinion counts? It's just talk if the group isn't politically active. Now, I do think BF has some pull in Utah politics, but hypothetically?
However, I've never heard BF bash responsible breeding, myself. Does anyone have links to such statements?
Yeah, that^^^ :D .

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If all the breeders I see suck, then obviously all the breeders that most potential puppy buyers see suck, so how are dog lovers supposed to put an end to bad breeding? It just seems impossible at this point, especially when many "good" breeders will defend bad breeders just because they breed---preserve individual rights at all costs.
That's a problem that can't be fixed by simply demonizing all of them and hoping that keeps people from buying from bad ones. That issue can only be fixed by more consumer education and outreach. The way you put breeders that only breed for money out of business is drying up demand for their 'product' and stopping their profits, which can only be done by educating the customer. People will ALWAYS want dogs and puppies, and they will get them where they can. They just need to be steered right. The U.S. is a nation of animal lovers -- most people WANT to do the right thing.

Personally, I think that more breed clubs should to do PR and community interaction, instead of being defensive and hiding from the public eye like most seem to do. They should show what 'quality' and 'ethical breeding' means, so that when they're compared to BYBs, it will be obvious what the superior choice is, even to an layperson.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If only bad breeders advertise, therefore anyone who advertises is a bad breeder.

AND

The public should be able to find good breeders without having to do a lot of research.

How exactly do you want the good breeders to make themselves more visible?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If only bad breeders advertise, therefore anyone who advertises is a bad breeder.
Who says only bad breeders advertise? I suppose since they should have homes lined up for their pups before they're born, they really shouldn't be advertising puppies for sale. But I would like to see good breeders advertise more. Maybe colorful flyers to advertise their kennels or something. Anything to compete with the friendly neighborhood puppymill.

But to stay on topic, I've read 3 Best Friends magazines tonight and none of them said anything against good breeders. A lot against puppymills and BYBs, but isn't that the same as just about any DF thread?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Either way, I think they do a good job at their rescue with saving and rehabbing dogs who otherwise would be PTS, and they have very good training methods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts