Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 week old mastiff mix. Great dog but loves to play rough (puppy biting) with my 5 year old (who does not like it). For some reason he knows not to play rough with me, he does play rougher with my husband but that is their thing.

What can I do to work with them? So far I have asked my daughter not to pet unless the pup is sitting quietly. Have asked her to find him a toy as soon as he starts biting. The biggest issue is her getting from point a to b with out him grabbing onto her.

I know this is a puppy thing but he has already almost doubled his weight since we got him and in a matter of weeks will out weigh her. I want to get her able to work with him now before he is too big.

Any suggestions?

We will be starting puppy classes in a few weeks once he has had the second round of shots. My daughter will be there with me for those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have her do a high pitched ouch any time the puppy goes to grab her and then have her turn her back to him for a while. He'll eventually understand that playtime stops with her if he does it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been having her say ouch but need to get her to be consistent. I think the hardest part is I step in because I know his teeth hurt when he gets a hold of skin. I keep reminding her he is not biting to be mean. I am going to have her try the "ouch" but higher pitch and turning her back. He needs to learn to listen to her as well as me.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
One thing I would NOT be doing is rough housing with your puppy at all. Your husband should not do that either. I think it would be safer to show puppy to play in a less aggressive manner. Playing fetch with toys etc.... vs. rough housing. Teach puppy to sit for petting like you are doing. You just can't be confusing to puppy by saying it is alright to rough house with daddy but not with baby. Once puppy is older and trained he will be more likely to make that distinction, but not now. Getting puppy into classes will help and so will having plenty of teething toys. When puppy puts mouth on anyone in the house I would just give a verbal "ah ah" and redirect command "sit" treat when he does that. Teething is painful for puppy and they will be chewing on everything and everyone. Mouthing people is a bad habit and scary one in a dog that will be as big as your puppy. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts