Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. so I have a dog that is primarily an outside dog.. she sort of came with The property when we got it. She's an older dog and has always been outside. We attempted to bring her inside but she just is not an inside dog. We tried caring her inside at night but she will poop and pee everywhere possibly from stress? And she howls only when inside. I know people are going to ask why we are keeping her outside so I just wanted to get that out of the way.
As of right now she just sort of roams around and has become somewhat of a nuisance to neighbors. Mind you, we live in the deep country so our neighbors are not close at all. We've had neighbors bring her back multiple times since we've been here. We have horses, chickens, pigs so I'm outside a lot of the time and when any of us are out there she is nearby. The problem occurs when we either leave or usually she does her roaming at night.
I like her and she has become a really good friend. She is great with the kids and loves the horses. So I want to keep her around and safe from either getting hurt on the main road or being shot by someone. I was thinking of buying a large kennel but I've seen her jump a fence and I know how destructive she can be. Ive also thought about tying her up at night with a long leash/chain which I think would give her a little more freedom and sense of "openness" (If thats even a thing lol). She has a rather large insulated dog house that we built for her and she really likes it since it's been a little cooler. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?
Btw her name is Rocky. We have no idea what type of dog she is. She is a country dog so there is probably some hound in there lol

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
If you are walking her and spending some time with her, I think a totally enclosed chain link run might work. Otherwise, 8ft privacy fence. Though I will say, no containment is foolproof for every dog.

Of course, make sure she has proper shelter and water at all times.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Top & bottom welded dog kennel panel set up. The chain link dog kennel panels are easy to rip out of unless you reinforce all the edges where it connects to the frame with looping smooth wire. I would start with a kennel set up, and then during the day when you are there to watch and supervise put her on a tether. Many dogs that are not used to being tethered can hurt themselves. Same with trying to get them use to the house, I've taken in kennel raised dogs that all they do is pace . If your taking a break from outside put them on a leash get a drink of water for you and give them a treat if they will take it, sit for a moment drink your water relax then go back outside and release them. Start off slow with a quick release back out side to start and build from there. Send you a hug for taking her in with yall and caring about her. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Agree with PatriciafromCO. You need to put wire under the kennel (preferably with decking or concrete) and secure it around the bottom bar of the kennel. Then you need to put a wire top on the kennel and secure that all the way around to the top bar. Dogs will climb chain link, so welded (Heavy Duty) wire is better. Kennels can be expensive. I use both 10 X10 and 5X10. I like the smaller ones as it gives the dog less opportunity to pace ans make a run at the fence.

I currently have my kennels set up on heavy stall mats. All is fine until you get "that dog" who decides they are going to redecorate their kennels space. I can tell you for a fact that an 8 month old 65 pound German Shepherd puppy can drag an 80 pound mat around and expose the ground underneath (for the purpose of digging holes).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You've already got some pretty good ideas here. She may howl and carry on when she is contained for the first time, but try to make it an awesome place for her by providing yummy, long lasting chews that she only gets in her run, and perhaps a few durable kennel toys (if she likes toys). Since you live in the deep country, also consider the types of wild animals that may want to make a tasty meal out of your dog. I realize that its not a problem for everybody, but sometimes big carnivores will break down fences if they're hungry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts